My, how the tides have turned...

Thread: My, how the tides have turned...

lilypi is offline Senior Member

DefaultMy, how the tides have turned...

When we first got Maddox he had been eating a totally crap diet of cheaper than cheap dog chow. I immediately switched him to Blue Buffalo, with much hemming and hawing from my self-described "cheap portagee" husband. I stood firm and ignored his complaints about the price. After about six weeks, hubby stopped complaining. Rather than disturb the beast, I kept my mouth shut. After two months, hubby commented "ya know, Maddox's coat is so much nicer than when we got him". I informed him that changing his food did the trick and he begrudgingly admitted that I had been right. SWEET victory! But that is not the end of the story. We've now had Maddox for about three and a half months, and today hubby asked "is there anything even better that we can feed him? I don't really care how much it is, I just want my son to be the healthiest he can be". And with that, we'll be switching to grain free starting tonight.
    Laura & Maddox

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Men! Pretty soon he'll be saying it was his idea in the first place! hahaha! It sounds like Maddox is doing well on the food you have him on. If his coat is good, and weight is good, and he show's no signs of allergy to the Blue Buffalo, I am not sure I'd want to rock the boat. We had to put Sophie on grain free due to allergies. She has done really well since we put her on TOTW Pacific Stream. The vet wasn't sure if she is allergic to grains, or the lamb or chicken she had been on, so he had me put her on a food she had never had before. We chose the salmon based food. Anyway, I wish you luck on the food change.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

patm is offline Senior Member

I love it! What a story - I feed Blue, and also 4-Health and think the dogs do well on them, moderate price and available locally.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Maddox has a moderate case of the itchies, which is why I'm hopeful that grain-free will be a good choice. He hasn't gone so far as to damage his skin/fur on his legs/neck, but there is a ton of chewy-scratching going on and I'd like to prevent him from getting more problematic.
    Laura & Maddox

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Awesome! Just make the switch slow and easy, maybe try a grain-free with a touch higher fibre first (acana is a good choice, also TOTW) and then look at the more nutrient dense stuff if you're so inclined (orijen, EVO, etc). Also remember you can feed less of the grain-free so keep an eye on his weight.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

fanny&eddiesmom is offline Senior Member

Awesome! I go through some fo the same stuff with my hubby and MIL and then when they see the difference they are stunned!

I use TOW for mine and I have no complaints.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Are you staying with Blue Buffalo the Grain free version? Kodi is eating that part time now and is doing well on it.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

yeah, i planned to stick with blue wilderness. i've been satisfied with the brand so far, so why not?
    Laura & Maddox