Dominant Down
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dominant Down

mombear is offline Senior Member

DefaultDominant Down

The other night at obedience class the first thing he taught was the dominant down. I unfortunately could not do it because I have a bad knee and I'm a blubber butt. I intent to try it at home but before I do, can someone tell me how necessary this is. The move he taught was getting your dog to do down on his side or back and then sort of laying on him and keeping him in control. Help please!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

No! Dominant downs are outdated, unnecessary, dangerous and harmful to your relationship with your dog. Dominance theory in dogs was based on very very poorly constructed studies that have since been proven incorrect, but like the STD of dog training it just keeps hanging around. I would begin to look for another class, and ask for a refund.

Please read these short articles before you begin aggressive training techniques with your guy - there are many better methods out there for training dogs.

If You're Aggressive Your Dog Will Be Too

Dominance Theory for Dogs is Old Hat
    excerpt:
    "Much worse, techniques such as pinning the dog to the floor, grabbing jowls, or blasting hooters at dogs will make dogs anxious, often about their owner, and potentially lead to an escalation of aggression.

Dr Rachel Casey, Senior Lecturer in Companion Animal Behaviour and Welfare at Bristol University, said: “The blanket assumption that every dog is motivated by some innate desire to control people and other dogs is frankly ridiculous. It hugely underestimates the complex communicative and learning abilities of dogs. It also leads to the use of coercive training techniques, which compromise welfare, and actually cause problem behaviours."

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Agree with the above. Strongly.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mombear is offline Senior Member

Well I'm glad you cleared that up. Frankly, I didn't see any point in it. Parker and I have a great relationship and I want it to stay that way. Half the dogs in the class were struggling, most were rather ho hum about the whole thing which to me meant they didn't quite get that they were being shown who was dominant. Parker was just laying there calmly observing and I thought why should I mess with that. I'm there to teach him not to be aggressive or obnoxious with other dogs and people and I didn't see how that would do it.

Felix is offline Senior Member

If you pin down youre dog directly to the ground by force, the only thing you show to youre dog, is that you also can show disturbed behaviour.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Agree, find a new trainer.

oakley is offline Senior Member

I have to agree. It is a very outdated and useless training method. My concern is if he is still using this method, what other outdated methods is he using?

greg is offline Senior Member

Besides if your labs anything like mine he/she may win.then you are big trouble..and Oaley makes a very good point.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Even in the framework of that kind of theory - doing that with ALL dogs is misguided.

I agree - this trainer is behind the times and you need to got outta there.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

brody is offline Senior Member

what a shame the classes are fear based and so traditional
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast