Frustrated Lab Owner (Please Help)

Thread: Frustrated Lab Owner (Please Help)

awcire67 is offline Junior Member

DefaultFrustrated Lab Owner (Please Help)

Hello,

My name is Eric and I have a 12 week old chocolate lab named Bailey. She is a smart little one with lots of energy... no surprises there. My problem has been when I take her out for walks. Lately she has just been sitting down and acting as if she doesn't want to go. I have been taking her on short walks on leash and then taking her to the park to run with me off leash. Overall she has been doing really well on our walks until the past week or so. I know she needs the exercise because when she doesn't get it she can be a biting nightmare, especially for my 3 young kids. She definitely has shown a stubborn streak in other things as well, but this seems to be her biggest sign of defiance so far. I don't get it? I thought Labs loved exercise. She would rather go home and chew!!!!

Any advice would be helpful. I'm taking her to a puppy class this weekend so I'm hoping to get some feedback there.

thanks,
    eric

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Owners need to be careful where they bring their dogs before they have had all their shots. There are many many things they can catch from places other dogs have been (even if there are no other dogs at that time). Exercise should be free play (offleash running around) in a safe environment - if not your own yard a soft place not frequented by many dogs.

At 12 weeks she should barely be going around teh block on leash, she is a baby. How long have you been walking her if she was good until this week.

It honestly sounds like you are expecting alot from a small puppy.

She is 12 weeks a baby, she isn't being stuborn, defiant or looking to cause you grief - she is just a baby!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

My lab Saba also displayed similar "stubborness" when I would want to take him for a walk. I tried to encourage him with treats and lots of praise, then just praise and we went on. It's just babies being babies. As Tanya said, at 12 weeks, she's just a little baby so you have to be careful not to over exercise / walk her as this can cause joint issues later on. Only very short walks at that age (on leash - which I believe is also called forced exercise). Definitevely a no-no to dog parks or other parks frequented by other dogs if she has not had all her shots yet. Also, although there is a general idea out there that labs are hyper and very active, it varies depending on their personality. At 12 weeks, don't expect a lot, just keep working with her at age - appropriate pace.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rpost7786 is offline Senior Member

I aggree with Tayna... They're stubborn to begin with and they don't know what they're expected to do. Patience.

My pup used to stop every couple of feet, when we passed a new house, when a car drove by etc. Bring treats and be patient!
    Rachel, Keith, Scarlett & Avery = One happy little Family

"A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?"- John Grogan

awcire67 is offline Junior Member

Thank you for the feedback.

I have been walking her for maybe a week and a half. Before then we just walked to the park behind our house. She has had her second round of shots and the vet said she was ok going to the park (not a dog park).

I didn't realize you could over exercise pups. I'll easy up. She just seems to have so much energy I figured she wanted the exercise.

thanks,
    eric

Dani is offline Senior Member

doesn't just need to be physical exercise. Mental training and stimulation wear out a puppy just as much as walking them around the neighborhood. Play games of hide and seek and also start working with her on basic obedience.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

All of the above! The puppy class will definitely help both of you and a good trainer will give you lots of info and ideas. I also have a puppy, 13 weeks old, and I have to keep him busy or I have the same biting problem. I don't have small children to excite and entice this play with Maxx, my children are grown, instead Maxx will play "bitey face" with my other dog, Emma, all day long if not kept busy. Try Kongs stuffed with treats, bully sticks, Nyla bones, etc., just all different kinds of things that the puppy can chew on. Encourage your children to turn away, (not run away!!), from the biting puppy so they are not enforcing the behavior. I would definitely ease up on the walks, Maxx has not been out of my own yard except for visits to the vets, my office, puppy classes and in the car to a few places he can go. We have an auto title/tag shop that he visits at least once a week, a small hardware store, etc. There are usually a few places you can go with a puppy that other dogs don't frequent. (It is somewhat easy for me as I live in a small town.) As everyone said, patience is the key, you will be richly rewarded in the future if you spend the time and energy now! Good luck and welcome!

HarveysMum is offline Senior Member

When we first got Harvey, we were told not to walk him until he had all his shots. When we started walking him, we went by the rule of 5 mins for each month of life, so at 3 months old a walk was no longer than 15 mins etc. Never really had a problem getting him to walk, but MIL did have problems with Seth (harveys brother). He would just sit down and refuse to move. Within a a very short amount of time he got over it, now he lives to go for his walks

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Our vet told us not to take Sophie to public places where other dogs had been until the puppy shot series was completed. I looked online, and one site said the same thing, another said that with the new parvo vaccine, chances are the titer was good to go after one vaccination, not including the 6 week one that the mother's immunity may have killed off. It doesn't say anything about the other diseases included in the vaccine. To be safe, we waited till all three of her shots were completed. Our vet actually gave a 4th parvo at 4 months when she got rabies vaccine. We didn't start taking Sophie on walks till after her 3rd, and she loved to walk! We have adhered to the 5 minutes for each month they are old rule.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye