I know it's a long shot, but...
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I know it's a long shot, but...

steveandginger is offline Senior Member

DefaultI know it's a long shot, but...

Hi all. I haven't posted in a long time, but used to be quite active; some of you who have been here a long time may recall that about 5 years ago, our family got our first Lab, a yellow we named Misty. Since this was our first, I had many questions back then, and got great help from everyone here and I shared alot of experiences and frustrations. Early on, Misty was the most hyper-crazy biting chewing dog you'd ever want to see, but by 6 months or so, after hours and hours of working with her and training her, she began to calm down substantially. We loved her from the beginning, but as she grew and matured, she truly turned out to be simply the best dog we could have ever hoped for. An absolute perfect companion, the most outstanding animal I could ever imagine. She brought so much love and joy and happiness to our household, and I think we gave her back all the love she could handle.

About 6 weeks ago, she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, and we lost her a few days ago -- five weeks shy of her fifth birthday. Needless to say, we are all heartbroken. We were not prepared for, nor expecting this at such a young age. Burying her was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Any of you who have lost your beloved dog will understand; she had become such a huge part of our family and we realize that her unique personality and traits will never be replaced. She went everywhere and did everything with us -- from jogging to hunting to sporting events...or just hanging out at home, she was up for anything at all. Just a perfect dog.

While we know she can never be truly "replaced," my wife, daughter, and I all agree that eventually we will be ready for another. Labradors are simply outstanding animals and our home is not complete without one. We love the Labrador traits -- the loyal, loving, gentle demeanor and the eager, intelligent, enthusiastic personality. Our Misty was a yellow, and we don't think we want another yellow at this time. So, an American/Field-type black female will be what we look for -- preferably one that's around 8 weeks or so old.

The biggest obstacle, along with grieving over Misty, is cash -- we spent a small fortune on surgery and care over the past 6 weeks, and know there will plenty of vet bills, etc. associated with getting a new puppy. So, the amount we could spend on a purchase of a new puppy is somewhat limited. While we are wanting another purebred, "champion" lineage is in no way important to us. Just a good, well-bred dog that will make a good family pet and display the typical Lab personality.

I know this is probably an tough request, but if anyone knows of a good litter that includes a spunky little black female, that won't cost us an arm and a leg to purchase, this might -- before long -- be just what our household needs. It's tough to find one here -- "puppy mills" are out of the question, and I fear that most good breeders' prices would be out of the range of what we hope to pay, so I thought I'd throw this out there on the odd chance that someone might know of a way. I haven't started looking seriously, as I'm not sure we are QUITE ready, but probably will be soon; but I thought I'd go this route and see if anyone knows of a situation where there may be the right puppy out there for us at a not-too-expensive price. If anyone can help us in any way over the next few weeks/months, PLEASE let me know. We would be MOST appreciative! We live in central Oklahoma but would travel a good distance if necessary.

Thanks in advance for your help, and the help that many of you long-time members have given me over the years. If I've posted this in the wrong place, I ask the moderators to move it to the appropriate location.

Thanks all,

Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Sorry for you loss ! You obviously cared very deeply for your pup and it hurts to lose any family member especially the most vulnerable.

Have you considered a rescue ? I adopted Dylan at five months old, and I couldn't have asked for a more settled happy pup from the moment that I got him and without a lot of the early destruction and house training that is needed with a pup ! OK I had bladder issues indoors until he was 12 months old but that wasn't a problem as I have ceramic or wood floors that are easily wipe clean.

You could make or even save a young Lab's life ?

I appreciate the kind words, Samson, and the thoughts and advice about a rescue. Certainly a fine and noble option.

I don't know of a "Lab rescue" shelter here (I looked in the past, but not recently); I know there's a Golden Retriever rescue in Oklahoma but I know of none for Labs. While we haven't started looking seriously yet, I did look online at some "general" animal shelters, and it seems tough to find a dog that's not a mix. I know mixed-breed dogs can be great pets, and that they need to be rescued also, but while I can't speak definitively for my wife and daughter, I personally have my heart set on another purebred Lab, and the relative "certainty" with respect to temperament and demeanor that comes along with this breed.

I mentioned the possibility of a "rescue" with my wife, but I think she has her heart set on a very young puppy. I'm with you -- I'd be willing to take a few month-old pup, as alot of those very-young-dog crazy traits would have begun to subside! But, I think she (and probably my 10-year old also) really want to cuddle with a little pint-sized puppy for awhile. And you know what they say -- if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!

Thanks for the thoughts and I will keep my eyes open at the shelters, but right now it seems like it would have to be a really young one to arouse the interest of momma!

Steve

P.S. Those are two terrific-looking dogs; if we could find one as light in color as the one on the left, we'd probably consider it -- very beautiful, and different enough in color from our Misty that I think that might work out for us. And kudos to you for saving the life of your Dylan!
    Last edited by steveandginger; 10-20-2011 at 06:17 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

There are many many many purebred Labs begging for adoption, and most if not all rescues will arrange transport across country with volunteer drivers but I suppose that in your place, maybe not being able to see the Lab first and also with your wife's preference I can see the difficulty.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

ETA I think that Joe Maringo rescued a litter of puppies recently - don't know whether they were purebred though ! Anybody know ?

Wow, Samson -- I had no idea that Lab rescues across the country will sometimes even transport a dog, with a volunteer driver. In the right situation, with what seemed like the "right" young, different-than-typical-yellow-colored little female pup, that does open up some interesting options. That gives me a route to explore if/when we get more serious in a search. In the mean time, if anyone has, or hears of, a "concrete" lead, a heads-up would be much appreciated.

Thanks Samson!

Steve

P.S. I think I remember Joe Maringo from back when I was more active on the forum...isn't he from Southwest PA? That's where I grew up, and where my mom and dad and family still live. Something could possibly be arranged, depending...
    Last edited by steveandginger; 10-20-2011 at 06:46 AM.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Hi Steve, I remeber you. I am so sorry for your loss.
    I agree with Colin. There are resuces all over the USA and many wonderful dogs waiting for a home. I am not sure how far Oklahoma is from Joe in PA., but they may be able to help with transport.
    Sandy may be able to help or I know a couple of other people with rescue so will email them and ask if they have pups or know of any.

Good luck. I recently rescued a 5 year old and she is the most amazing dog a person could wish for. She had a hard life and just loves to be loved. I just know she will join Kass and Erns as my heart dogs.

Good luck.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

kassabella --

I remember you also, and thank you so much for your kind words. I hold back tears (somewhat unsuccessfully!) as I read these replies.

Thank you so much for sending emails for me to some folks you know. I am totally out-of-the-loop in terms of how to get a Lab. Like I say, we were in no way prepared for thinking that Misty's time with us was so short, and so looking for a new dog was not even on the radar. We got Misty from a duck-hunting friend, who had a male and a female and had an "accidental" litter when their young female went into heat before they were prepared for that. His wife is a school teacher at my daughter's school, and she brought the two remaining puppies from the litter up to the school. My daughter was in Kindergarten, and my wife was there to eat lunch with her and saw the puppies. We weren't even looking, or thinking about getting a dog, but my wife knew that if I EVER agreed to get a dog, it would have to be a Lab! So, she called me on the phone and asked me to "come look at the cute lab puppy." That was it, for me!

Sorry for the ramble; my point is that we are not well-connected in terms of knowing how to find a good Lab puppy -- especially without spending a fortune. We "lucked" into our first one, and it would be amazing if that could happen again, God-willing...

Thank you kindly!

Steve

deidra is offline Senior Member

im sorry for your loss I have 2 rescue labs and they are the best! Tank i got from my cousin who abused tank and after a lot of time.training he is a very well mannered dog. Bentley i got from the pound last year at 6 months and the day i got him he was scheduled to be put to sleep. I know you said you are not to sure about rescue yet but if you decide to go that route here a few in oklahoma i found.

This one doesn't have pure bred puppies but adult labs- Heartland Lab Rescue, Inc. - Oklahoma Labrador Rescue for Dogs

Welcome to Lab Rescue Oklahoma
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Garth is offline Registered Users

When I lost Jo to cancer, I told my vet I NEEDED another Lab & asked her to let me know if she knew of any litters or dogs needing adoption. She rang me about 3 weeks later & asked me if I wanted a GSD? I never considered any other breed but a Lab but I went & saw her & it was love at first sight. I brought her straight home. Only trouble was, she was 11. I lost her also to cancer last May aged 14.

After much looking around breeders, the SPCA & a few rescues, I found my yellow boy on one of the rescue sites. I brought him home last Sunday. He's 6yo & one of the coolest dogs you could meet.

I know your family wants a pup, but my point is, you don't know what's around the corner just waiting for you. I never thought I'd have a GSD until I met Holly.

Have you asked your vet if he/she knows of any dogs in need of re-homing? Maybe try ringing around some of the other vets in your area? Of the 4 dogs I've adopted over the years, 3 of them have been through my vets that have had clients looking to re-home their dogs for various reasons.

Good luck in your search for that new family member. I know the pain you're feeling only too well.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry for the loss of your dog, it is so very hard to lose them at any age and such a shock when they are young and it is sudden. I lost my 8 year old male, Ozzy, in June and I still can not think about it, look at his pictures, etc. without crying. We got a puppy last month and it has helped very much but the hole that Ozzy left in my heart is huge. I hope that you and your family soon find a dog to help you in your journey of healing. Run free Misty...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast