Should I Be Concerned?

Thread: Should I Be Concerned?

DefaultShould I Be Concerned?

Alright - I have just gotten myself a new lab pup named Margot (six months old). My friend has been watching her for me until I can move into my new apartment next month.

My friend has a pretty huge yard that she lets the pup play in and sometimes leaves her to herself. Well - my friend's daughter has a rabbit that is kept in a fenced in part of the fenced in yard. The thing is that the rabbit had dug its way out evidently and Margot had killed it. Jessica didn't know it until the next morning when her daughter went in the backyard and saw it's mangled corpse lying by the back door. She said it barely resembled a rabbit anymore. I took care of the situation with her daughter who was very upset but my concern now is with Margot. I heard stories of which I, myself, believe are old wives tales of dogs going crazy after getting their first taste of blood or changing or whatever. Does anybody know if this is true? Do I have anything to worry about?

We don't know if Margot outright killed the rabbit and tore it up or maybe was playing with it and accidentally killed it and then tore it up afterward.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

you have someone watching a dog for you for a month until you can take it?

anyway, no - there is no such thing as taste of blood, your puppy should be fine and a great family pet. Dogs are animals, it isn't unusual for them to chase little animals. I wouldn't be leaving a 6mts old puppy outside long enough for that to happen though - if the bunny managed to dig out so can the puppy.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

greg is offline Senior Member

Nothing to worry about ,your Lab pup's just doing what comes natural.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'm not at all surprised that the puppy (unsupervised and probably bored) killed the rabbit. Mine have killed squirrels and skunks and would happily kill a bunny if they could catch it. IMO, leaving a puppy in the same yard as a bunny is an accident waiting to happen.

And yes - if the bunny can get out of that enclosure, you can bet the puppy can get out too.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Mine would do the same thing... afterall, labs are still used on hare hunts. it's not aggression--- it's natural drive.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Thanks, everybody.

The pup's alright. The enclosure the bunny was in was very makeshift and the first time ever it's escaped - well - apparently the last. The rest of the yard is alright and the pup isn't keen on running away. In fact - oddly enough when the fence gate is open she won't run out. Though - she will from my front door - which I need and can't wait to teach her to get out of that habit. She likes to stay close. I think my friend - who's a busy single mother with three kids - might not have noticed the puppy having done it before her daughter discovered it. She doesn't leave her out all night. Margot has her own bed inside the house. And with three kids running around Margot is hardly bored unless it was at night when they all went to bed.

@Tanya

Yeah - Unfortunately when I had the good fortune of finding an excellent dog friendly apartment complex and an amazing pup my folks decided they wanted to go to Thailand with my little sister. So they asked me to house sit. My mother isn't a big fan of dogs so I couldn't bring her here. And I cannot move into my brand new apartment for a month either. Sucks.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Good luck with your pup!

I am sure my dogs would do the same. I know they would kill any living thing they caught in an unsupervised situation. You are fortunate to have found a friend to take your pup for such a time!

Please post pictures!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)