Not a Labrador related question, but....

Thread: Not a Labrador related question, but....

lisa is offline Senior Member

DefaultNot a Labrador related question, but....

a dog related question. I know we have alot of foster parents on board.... does anyone here have any experience with the Portuguese Fila? There is a young female at the shelter I volunteer at and my husband loves her. She seems very good natured, but I have heard and read that they are very protective dogs. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

There are no Portuguese Filas the breed is Fila Braziliero (from Brazil, not from Portugal). Unless you are talking about the Presa Majoreiro (a rare presa- mastiff type of dog from Portugal).

Filas are natural guard dogs and do not like strangers. This breed is actually not touched by many judges in comformation shows because of the risk of being bitten (and it´s stated in the breed standard that they should not be friendly towards strangers).

It became somewhat popular in my country about 4-5 years ago but lost popularity mainly because of their difficult temperament, they require experienced dog owners.

As most mastiff type dogs, though, they are loyal to their own family.

Golfgirlrobin is offline Senior Member

A breed like that will generally result in an increase in your Home Owner's Insurance. Check with your insurer before making a decision on bringing her home.

I'm composed of 85% kick-ass and 15% crippling self-doubt.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Do you know she is actually a Fila? Or are they just calling her that. I find it very, very hard to believe that one of those has wound up in a shelter given their rarity.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Do you know she is actually a Fila? Or are they just calling her that. I find it very, very hard to believe that one of those has wound up in a shelter given their rarity.
    I have been researching articles and pics of this breed, I would bet my house that she is all Fila... she has a great personality, seems to not be bothered by the other dogs at the shelter, she is very, very clingy though...I can't walk 2 steps without her being under my feet.

Quote Originally Posted by blackandyellow View Post
    There are no Portuguese Filas the breed is Fila Braziliero (from Brazil, not from Portugal). Unless you are talking about the Presa Majoreiro (a rare presa- mastiff type of dog from Portugal).

Filas are natural guard dogs and do not like strangers. This breed is actually not touched by many judges in comformation shows because of the risk of being bitten (and it´s stated in the breed standard that they should not be friendly towards strangers).

It became somewhat popular in my country about 4-5 years ago but lost popularity mainly because of their difficult temperament, they require experienced dog owners.

As most mastiff type dogs, though, they are loyal to their own family.
    Fila Braziliero, I would guess. They think she islalmost full grown...she is def puppy like, clumsy and clingy. She seems to attach herself to one person in the room. She is very friendly and not timid with new people at all...this is what is throwing me off. I have been researching the breed and they seem to be a one-person kind of dog..which she seems like she is...but isn't. If there is a room of people,s he tends to cling to one person...but she is not strange towards other people, not even new people. She probably weighs about 70 lbs.

She is a beautiful dog and she may have a home already with a Dr.