2 lab puppies need advice

Thread: 2 lab puppies need advice

tomas is offline Junior Member

Default2 lab puppies need advice

Hi,

This is my first post here. I have a 4mo old male yellow lab that I got when he was 2mo. I just added a 2 1/2mo old female chocolate lab 2 days ago. I did this to keep my male lab company and to possibly breed them in the future. Ok...so when I brought my new female home she definitely got the attention of the male as the 2 of them forgot about us for a while and just started playing together. My question is I noticed during their playing that my male seems to go a bit overboard and he will stand over the female and bite her neck. I've read that this is just to show dominance? I can't say for sure that it's too aggressive but it's a bit more than I expected. The female is really quite small compared to the male. There was a little bit of aggression as well during feeding time from the male to the female. Finally, the female was already a bit reserved when we brought her home, and now there are times it seems she could be a bit scared maybe of the male and she will keep quiet. But today it's a little better and they do always hang around with each other so I'm guessing this is all normal, but just thought I'd double-check with some experts... :-)

Thanks for your time!

tom

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HarveysMum is offline Senior Member

Re the biting, it sounds like it is just playing, but i would keep an eye on them and seperate them if either of them is being hurt.

Re the breeding - Have you breed dogs before? Do they both have all the health clearances? Why do you want to breed them?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

oy vey.
    please do lots of research before you even consider breeding them. there are tons of lab puppies put to sleep in shelters every day (as well as adults) because - well there are simply TOO MANY for the number of people who actually want dogs. (and this is just labs!). Furthermore, labs are prone to health issues, such as hip and elbow displays, heart problems, blindness, EIC and CMN. there are test that MUST be done on any dog prior to breeding to ensure they do not pass on these painful and expensive to their offspring.
    remember that dogs should not be breed until they fully mature (which is over two years of age) which means you will go thru at least one if not more heats before you can breed them. you MUST keep them separated at all times (ties can happen in the blink of an eye thru fences) for three weeks. It will be a big responsibility - please ensure you read up on the topic very soon as she can go into heat as young as 6mts of age. there are good chances your male will be a handful while she is in heat.

as for the dogs - depending on how much socialization the female dog prior to coming to your place, and it being a new environment, she is probably just really uncertain on what the heck is going on. her whole life just changed. walk the line between letting them work it out themselves and intervening too much. But feel free to make them take time outs now and then. Remember to spend one on one time with each puppy each day - take them on separate outings, train them out of view of one another and take them out in the world separately (so that they are independent and remain independent).
    Puppies can play very very rough. lots of biting and wrestling. just keep an eye on them.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the reply. Ok yes doesn't seem the female is being hurt although once or twice she yelped a bit when the male got overly aggressive. But after that they seemed to be ok again. I did break them up a few times and it seems to be a bit better now that they are on their 3rd day together. I will keep an eye on it...

Regarding the breeding it's not something that has to happen. I would only do it if I could do it the right way. Yes both of them have papers and health clearances. I actually don't have experience but where I'm at (Philippines) it's quite common. But I haven't done it before and I would have to register with the canine association here first so it's something I will think about...

Thanks again!

tom

Ok thank you for all of the advice and I assure you I will not take the breeding part lightly and I will listen to what you have said...

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Your puppies at this age could not possibly have any of the clearances needed to be responsibly bred - that is done when they are much older. You can clear for exercise induced collapse based on parentage, but only if each puppy's parents (bitch and dog) were both clear. If one on each side was a carrier you could have 2 carriers in your house and potentially produce affected puppies.

Were the adults that produced these puppies cleared for all genetic problems Labs can have? If not, why did you buy a puppy?

You have a LOT of learning to do before you can remotely consider becoming a breeder. Responsible breeders will take back any puppy that they have produced for the life of the dog if the owner can't keep it. Are you prepared to do something like that?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

nicole is offline Senior Member

A 4mo old puppy really shouldn't play with a 2mo old puppy at all, too much can go wrong too quickly and the older puppy won't have any idea it's being too rough. Your older puppy doesn't need a pet, he needs YOU to take the time to play with and train him. Honestly, I'd recommend returning the younger puppy and revisiting the idea of having multiple dogs once your male puppy is older (1yr+) and where you want him training-wise. Breeding should be the last thing on your mind if you're asking these questions.

Thanks to all for the replies. Your advice is very much appreciated and will be taken seriously...

tom

bett is offline Senior Member

you might have pretty dogs that are registered, but they cant possibly have the clearances they need to be bred properly, as BigBrownDog said.
    takes about 2 yrs before you would know those answers.
    and tho they ay grow up to be really good pals, the age difference now, and the weight difference now , needs careful watching so the little one is not bullied or hurt accidentally. they do make growling sounds that can make you feel they are life threatening when they're not but honestly, they need constant watching and guidance. and while we're on the subject, .......
    also, having 2 dogs so close together and so young will be challenging for training, as each dog will need you ALONE, in order to really learn what you would want them to know.(been there, done that)

Yes actually that's correct I believe I misunderstood the first time. Of course the dogs don't have all of those necessary clearances at this point. That would have to be done before even considering breeding I understand...

They are actually getting along very well now and the play is not too rough so I'm happy about that. I'm still watching it closely though thanks for the advice. The first day worried me just a bit that's why I asked. Also, I have noticed that my older male is a little more distracted now when it comes to training/listening, so I will be following your advice about the training alone. Thanks again!

tom