Giving Deez a trial run before Friday...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving Deez a trial run before Friday...

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

CoolGiving Deez a trial run before Friday...

The problem: 12 hour shifts & a dog.

Step one to the solution (quickest & easiest): letting him have free run outside of his crate so he isn't cooped up all day.

Step two: finding someone to trust him with for potty breaks & visits while I work.

So, I thought Friday when I go back to work I will let him stay in the (finished but unfurnished) basement all day until I get home, total time about 13hrs. I figured I ought to give that a trial run, lol, so I am just heading out for groceries, etc & will be gone about 4 hours... he's in the basement, I can hear him at the landing sitting there barking & huffing He has water, tons of toys, tons of space to run around & warped baseboards I am hoping & praying he does not eat!!!

Be a good boy D!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I feel, from past experience, that the crate might be a better idea, especially if there is the slightest chance (even .0000000001%) that Deez might chew something he shouldn't.

The boys have been crated for 13 hours when it was totally unavoidable. They were fine. No access to food or water means they don't have to potty, and they pretty much zone out and sleep. I did give them Kongs before I left and made sure they had both gone out just before I crated them.

Shadow was able to be left out loose and there were a couple of times she went 12 hours without a problem.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

MikeE is offline Senior Member

Oh boy......Baby steps, like, an hour for the first time. The barking and carrying on at the door = seperation anxiety. In 4 hrs time you could potentially have a nice new doggie door on the basement door. I say this from experience! My wonderful Babe, God rest her soul.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

This is how I lost a leather love seat and couch a few years ago! My own fault but I really thought I could trust the little stinkers. They sure know how to teach you a lesson in having the nerve to leave them and they were quite proud of their hard work. I sure hope your experiment works out better than mine did...

citronella is offline Senior Member

When I had my first lab I thought it was cruel to leave her in the crate while i went to work. That quickly subsided when I came home and she had pulled all the stuffing my chair and ate the kitchen door frame. I religiously crate now. lol

Quote Originally Posted by MikeE View Post
    Oh boy......Baby steps, like, an hour for the first time. The barking and carrying on at the door = seperation anxiety. In 4 hrs time you could potentially have a nice new doggie door on the basement door. I say this from experience! My wonderful Babe, God rest her soul.
    BWWWAAAHAHAHAHAA!!! No kidding....

Lil' Monkey!!!!! Good thing he is cute!!

He has been in the basement alone for 45 min prior to today, but the door was open & he was free to come & go AND I was home. We play down there every night for a good hour (I'm with him the whole time) as the lights out back don't work to play with him in the yard when it's dark. But this was the first time he was home alone & the door closed.... not exactly a Fort Knox door either, lol. Gotta love those hard Labby noggins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by amazongold View Post
    I feel, from past experience, that the crate might be a better idea, especially if there is the slightest chance (even .0000000001%) that Deez might chew something he shouldn't.

The boys have been crated for 13 hours when it was totally unavoidable. They were fine. No access to food or water means they don't have to potty, and they pretty much zone out and sleep. I did give them Kongs before I left and made sure they had both gone out just before I crated them.

Shadow was able to be left out loose and there were a couple of times she went 12 hours without a problem.
    When it's totally unavoidable, I agree, 13 hours in a crate isn't so bad. But this is pretty regular, 14 days a month, no more than 3 in a row, but still 3 days in a row has to suck for him. When I come home after a 13 hour day, I take him out for potty, feed him & play with him for about 30min but then I'm off to bed & he comes with me, I get up, walk him, feed him, play with him for 30min, then he goes back in his crate & I go to work. So really he only gets about an hour a day of activity & sleeps for about 21hrs a day when you figure his time in his crate + his time sleeping with me. Not fair.

At least if he has free run of the basement, he won't be cooped up all day & can play & butt tuck around the basement if the desire catches him. I was thinking about removing all the baseboards since the moisture in the basement has warped them anyhow - they'll need to be replaced for the next tenant. So that would reduce the worry.... though now it seems I have to put a gate either at the doorway of this room, or at the base of the landing of the stairs down there.

blacklabparent is offline Senior Member

Be verrrrry careful, this isn't your house. =)

blacklabparent is offline Senior Member

Maybe you could also put his crate in the room (with the door open) so he has his "den". Being in a wide open empty room like that can be stressful for some dogs if they are used to their "den".

Better yet, hire a dog walker as well on those long days?
    Last edited by blacklabparent; 10-19-2011 at 11:21 PM.

kelli is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    When it's totally unavoidable, I agree, 13 hours in a crate isn't so bad. But this is pretty regular, 14 days a month, no more than 3 in a row, but still 3 days in a row has to suck for him.
    Yeah, no shit that has to suck for him.. so technically it is "so bad". Thirteen hours isn't a big deal if you have to spend the day in the ER because you broke your arm roller blading and you have no other choice.. 13 hours a day for 3 days in a row, 14 days out of the month, suckes balls.

kelli, tucker and koda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast