Topical to relieve dry, itchy skin?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Topical to relieve dry, itchy skin?

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

DefaultTopical to relieve dry, itchy skin?

Poor Deez He's got a lot of dandruff, his skin doesn't snap back when I grab a chunk of it & he is always scratching & nipping himself where he is visiby dry.

I dug out the humidifier this morning & will now have it run all night in the bedroom while we sleep (my skin is horribly dry too!). I gave him 2 cans of sardines over the last 10 days (usually just one can per week). I was thinking of buying a liquid supplement to add to his meals, but in the meantime, is there an immediate fix/relief that I can apply to him topically?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Not that I am aware of. Anything you apply he is just going to lick off anyway. Daily fish oil should help a lot.

I know that there are oatmeal type of baths for dogs if you want to head in that direction.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Not that I am aware of. Anything you apply he is just going to lick off anyway. Daily fish oil should help a lot.

I know that there are oatmeal type of baths for dogs if you want to head in that direction.
    Thanks, Sharon. I was thinking the same - he would lick off whatever I put on him. I'll pick up a liquid supplement (fish oil) tomorrow. I'll pass on the oatmeal bath for now... it took me forever to get the fur off the walls & ceiling of the bathroom after his big shake last time I bathed him!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Sophie has dry skin. We put her on codliver oil caplets about a month ago, and it has made a big difference! They are not only good for the coat, but good for her heart as well. She loves the silly things! She'll eat her caplet out of my palm, and you'll hear it "pop" in her mouth. We give her 1 in the morning and 1 at night. I buy the ones in our health food items at the store. They are called Norwegian Cod Liver Oil by Twinlab, and are molecularly distilled fish oil. They have EPA, DHA, vit A and D. 830mg of liveroil in each caplet. We also changed her to TOTW Pacific Stream. Her coat and skin are in better condition than they ever have been.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I feed fish in natural oil. They get the omega 3 and you don't have to judge how much oil. People always remark on ERns shiny coat, and Tessas coat is getting better with this 4 times a week. I will cut her down once she comes right.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

justine is offline Senior Member

What food do you have him on? With Kolby once we switched to grain-free it helped a lot with his allergies and itchies. We have seen many vets including a derm vet regarding his allergies and they gave us conditioner with hydrocortisone in it, so it conditions and helps with the itchies. Let me know if you need any additional info - I have LOADS of it regarding itchy skin and allergies.

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    What food do you have him on? With Kolby once we switched to grain-free it helped a lot with his allergies and itchies. We have seen many vets including a derm vet regarding his allergies and they gave us conditioner with hydrocortisone in it, so it conditions and helps with the itchies. Let me know if you need any additional info - I have LOADS of it regarding itchy skin and allergies.
    I feed him ProPlan Sensitive Skin & Stomach formula. Now I am wondering about the grain-free as the vet mentioned this with his last bout of ear infection. Can you tell me what you feed Kolby? How long has he been on it? Diesel can't have anything with chicken, I've found it makes him nauseous. He's good with fish or lamb. Is the conditioner something the vet had to give you or can you get it at a petstore?

justine is offline Senior Member

Kolby has been on Natural Balance for quite a while. We have tried many different brands and this one seems to work well for him. His coat is awesome, no digestion issues and avoiding chicken should be easy since most of their formulas are one protein + one carb. We switch between Sweet Potato & Venison and Duck & Potato, but he's been on it for more than a year. They do have a fish option as well. With food trials they tell you to try to switch to a protein source the dog has never been exposed to and to keep the dog on it for a few months to really determine if there's a difference or not. I would suggest trying a venison or bison formula for a few months.

The conditioner was given to us by the derm vet we saw, but it looks like you can purchase it online. It's the Virbac Resicort lotion (leave-in conditioner).

LucysMama is offline Junior Member

I'm not sure about this, so check with the vet or maybe someone else knows, but you could try letting him soak in an oatmeal bath? Aveeno makes a colloidal oatmeal bath soak. It's all natural, just ground oatmeal. My daughter has severe eczema and we use this for her skin. Since it's natural, I would think it would be fine for dogs. I really helps soothe the irritation for my kiddo!

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

I agree with investigating the possibility of food allergy. I know it's difficult with a chicken issue, that's what seemed to be causing Bean's itchy flakey. He's been doing well on a lamb & pearl millet kibble.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast