New roommate doesn't like Princess
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New roommate doesn't like Princess

Jessica.B is offline Member

DefaultNew roommate doesn't like Princess

Hey everyone, I've been gone for awhile, its been a busy few months! So, at the beginning of September I rented out a room in my home and I made it very clear that I have a very hyper puppy and he said not a problem, I love dogs. Okay great, well fast forward to now and he's been making comments like Princess would be better off euthanized and that would take care of how hyper she is. Or he could solve her energy problem's with a cheap bullet and then I wont have to spend so much money on obedience training. I love Princess like she is a 2nd kid and this really bothers me. Last night I responded with him doing the same to his daughter then if she's not doing what he wants. I don't really care for his kid but I don't make comments that she should die. If he continues then he is getting a 30 day notice.

How would you handle this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

um - yeah that would not fly in my house. I would make it clear it was his decision to rent this apt and that he knew you had a dog and that under no circumstances is that acceptable. if he is a "nice" guy with just not filter (you know the type, wouldn't hurt a fly but say stupid things) then I would give the warning full stop - such comments are never acceptable and are not to be made again.

what kind of agreement have you guys signed? are you within your rights to give him notice and evict him?

saying they don't like your dog is one thing - joking about killing the dog to your face, sorry but get the "@@#$% out of my house. so if the above is done (full stop warning) and he does it again he's outta my house no hesitation.
    Last edited by Tanya; 10-18-2011 at 06:51 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

patm is offline Senior Member

Wouldn't be renting a room in my house for very long. Unless he is "kidding", and stops saying stuff like that immedieatly, I wouldn't even trust him around your dog. Not sure what kind of rental agreement you have, but I think that threatening your dog could get you out of it. NOT FUNNY!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

I don't know what kind of rental agreement you have but those comments are not funny. I'm not sure I would trust him around Princess. I would tell him to stop with those comments, if he doesn't, well he would be out. No hesitation.

rookyduckling is offline Senior Member

He'd be out of my house tonight ............no ifs ands or buts

OUT. Now. What he says is NOT funny.
    Home of:

Forrest CGC- Lab 2001-2011
    Poopy-Toby-JRT 2004-
    Finn- Lab/Aussie- 2011-
    And 30-some Miniature Horses...

www.fieldofdreamsminihorses.com

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his leader, his love. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. Unknown

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rookyduckling View Post
    He'd be out of my house tonight ............no ifs ands or buts
    ^^ This. Any jackass that would make comments like that would not be trusted around my dog for another second. Be careful how you handle the situation. If you do evict him, keep a very watchful eye on your dog going forward. He could retaliate if he feels your dog stands in the way of a roof over his head. Bunny boiling comes to mind.... there are real wackjobs out there. If you feel any true danger at all to yourself or your dog, a call to the police would be a good idea to get something on record.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Wow - that guy has quite a set on him to be complaining about your dog. Do you know him well? What made you choose him as a tenant?

He has overstepped his bounds and needs to understand that the dog is a permanent resident and he can become quickly transient.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Jessica.B is offline Member

He seemed really chill and laid back when I interviewed him for the room. And he said he loved animals. I was very clear about Princess and how hyper she is and he said that it didn't bother him at all. I only just found out from his girlfriend that he isn't very fond of animals. I guess he really needed a place to live and people will say anything.

Well tonight I was getting home late and he texted me and said he had let Princess out and was going to be gone for dinner. I asked him if he had any problems putting her back in the crate and he said he only had to beat her about 10 times. So I replied telling him that is totally not funny and seriously the comments lately about Princess bother me cause she is like my 2nd kid. He said wow really its a joke, take it as a joke. I said it hurts my feelings because I love her very much. Imagine someone saying all that stuff about your kid even joking. He replied, First my kid isn't a dog and I don't keep her in a cage all day. I understand you love your dog but its a joke becase it is a pet. I would never say anything like that about Lexi (my daughter), she is a person not an animal.

So thats it. I am so irritated right now. BEYOND irritated. I don't even know what else to say to him. Here in CA renters have rights, squatters have rights, everyone living somewhere has rights and I have to legally evict him by giving a 30 day notice. I will need to look up landlord rights regarding animals.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

You should be protected by rental laws since you feel threatned. He misrepresented himself. He is liable to let her out and say "Oops" when she is long gone! I wouldn't trust him for a second and would begin today finding out my rights, and how and when I can legally evict him. He has threatned your dog with a "bullet"...that should be enough!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast