Frontline Plus: a warning
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frontline Plus: a warning

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultFrontline Plus: a warning

A perfectly healthy 7 year old Lab I know started having seizures this spring. He comes from the line without known epilepsy issues. 7 years old is past the "normal" time frame for epilepsy to strike. His bloodwork was perfect, so the seizures were not due to any other known causes such as liver or renal issues.

His owner kept a log of when the dog had his seizures. Finally, something made her look at the calendar and she was horrified to see that the dog was seizing within days of her putting Frontline on him. Then her dog went into cluster seizing and she rushed him to the vet. Once the dog was stabilized, she questioned her vet about the possible connection to Frontline. The vet too was horrified and vowed to do more research on the possible connection.

The owner didn't wait for the vet, but started her own research as soon as she got home from the vet and made sure the Lab was comfortable. It didn't take her long to find issues.

EPA Evaluation of Pet Spot-On Products: Analysis and Mitigation Plan | Pesticides | US EPA

Amazon.com: Customer Discussions: Possible side effects with Frontline

I remember hearing about some issues from other Lab breeders just before my trip out to BC, but I was so busy trying to get ready for that trip, I didn't pay too close attention. I am now and wanted to make sure everyone else knew about some of the problems others are having after using Frontline.

Her dog will not have Frontline put on him again. We are eagerly waiting to see if this dog has seizures again once the Frontline is out of his system.

I'm not sure what else you can use to prevent fleas/ticks. All I know is that I think you need to think twice before putting anything on your dog.

Laura

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the reminder...I don't use Frontline (actually, I usually use nothing or Advantage) but I remembered hearing this same thing.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

dweck is offline Senior Member

So what's the alternative? Are those Brewer's Yeast/Garlic supplements effective in keeping ticks off?

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the warning ! I have also read some further recent warnings about Rimadyl indicating that the same level of alert to your animal's medication is needed. The case that I read ended in the dog being PTS.

I don't know Dan. That's why I put the last paragraph into my post. I know some people swear by that supplement, while others say hogwash.

Laura

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Laura, what do you use? I have it in my cabinet, but haven't used it on them since June.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post
    Thanks for the reminder...I don't use Frontline (actually, I usually use nothing or Advantage) but I remembered hearing this same thing.
    From what I read it wasn't just Frontline but spot on applications ! Correct me if I'm wrong !

Rimadyl has been an issue with Labs since it came out. Wing-N-Wave Labradors Rimadyl I have Shanny on Rimadyl. She'll be 13 in February. It's either Rimadyl or death for Shanny at this point, so I chose the Rimadyl. Would I do it with a younger dog? Prolly not.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    Rimadyl has been an issue with Labs since it came out. Wing-N-Wave Labradors Rimadyl I have Shanny on Rimadyl. She'll be 13 in February. It's either Rimadyl or death for Shanny at this point, so I chose the Rimadyl. Would I do it with a younger dog? Prolly not.
    ME neither having read the details !

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff View Post
    Laura, what do you use?
    Normally I don't use anything. However, I am going to Missouri tomorrow for a week and they have a huge tick problem. The dogs that are going with me had Frontline applications, though I was apprehensive about doing it.

Laura

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast