chocolate labs ....is it true?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: chocolate labs ....is it true?

Jacks Mom is offline Junior Member

Defaultchocolate labs ....is it true?

Hi

A man with an Irish Setter approach me yesterday in the dog park to say hello to my puppy. He warned me that Choc labs are the most untrainable of labs...?? I'd never heard that, and was truly not tht thrilled to hear it. Someone today concurred with the statement when I shared how appaled I was that this man said that to me?! Yeesh. Is this a myth? He suggested it is why you don't see many chocolate guide dogs. I thought it was just that they were more unique. So, what IS the scoop? Is this your experience? Geesh - I hope not!

]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Color has NOTHING to do with trainablity. It is the training you do with him. I walk an extremely smart Choclate labrador. he can shut doors, and turn the lights on and off. Someone said to me when i got my black labrado that i should have gotten a yellow labrador or choclate becasue black labs are more crazy(my black labrador is a rescue and it was sort of a last minute thing). Well my yellow lab is crazier then my black lab and color has nothing to do with it. they are the same breed but different colors. it's like humans. They say blondes are dumb but so are some burnetts ect..
    Last edited by deidra; 10-16-2011 at 09:26 PM.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Incredibly ironic that someone with an Irish Setter would say that given their rep as wild children.

No - color has nothing to do with trainability, but the gene pool for Chocolates was quite narrow at one point so initially when Chocolates became popular 10 or so years ago, lots of unscrupulous breeders pushed out poorly bred puppies. There are many quality dogs coming out of great breeders now - so no - his belief is not accurate anymore.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

the colour gene has nothing to do with the personality or intelligence of the dog. YOu can get all three colours in the same litter!

I believe a lot of the misconceptions about the chocolate labs came from breeders who were just trying to get the brown colour - and not paying any attention to personality, conformation or temperament of the dogs. This lead to more chocolate being "crazy", "hyper", and "less trainable". So the colour was not the reason these dogs were this way - but the careless breeding was.

ETA: Sharon and I posted at the same time it appears!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    ...I believe a lot of the misconceptions about the chocolate labs came from breeders who were just trying to get the brown colour - and not paying any attention to personality, conformation or temperament of the dogs. This lead to more chocolate being "crazy", "hyper", and "less trainable". So the colour was not the reason these dogs were this way - but the careless breeding was...

That's been my theory, too. Oh, Sharon, it goes way back further than 10 years- chocolates were "wound for sound" back when Mick was a youngster in the early '90s. But, like I already said, I firmly believe the reason behind it wasn't the color, but bad breeding.

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

Not true at all. Saba has me very well trained! Oh wait.. LOL he's well trained too.
    And I saw a lot of chocolate guide dogs...

Shelley is offline Senior Member

I donated a very smart chocolate lab puppy girl from my last litter to Guide Dogs of America.

Just remember lay people repeat what they have heard just like a rumor, most of the time it isn't true, or is unfounded. Some of my smartest dogs have been chocolates, I also have a very smart black girl right now. Of course a back yard bred, or one bred with out care to produce a mentally and physically sound puppy, any of the colors can be less than trainable. If we all look for breeders that bred for temperament as well as health, there should be no difference in the three colors. :-)

Have fun with your puppy, spend time with him, train him, and prove these people wrong! :-)

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

That's funny, I always joke that Sophie is so smart she is training us, not the other way around! She is a joy, and knows so many commands already and she's only 6 mo! No, color has nothing to do with training, or whether a dog is trainable.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I believe breeding, plus training and owner. Kassa was an amazing dog and people used to say it was her breeding. No I trained her to do the things she did, but being a first time dog owner, how did I know. Then I adopted her untrained litter mate 3.5 Ernie. It took a lot of work, but we made it. He will never be the most obedient, but proved to me 2 dogs from one litter, could be so different coming from different homes. Their temprament is similar.

I adopted untrained 5 year old Tessa a few months ago. I dont mean to brag, but tonight at the vets I took both in and he said he could not beleive the difference. She broke her stay a couple of times, but she is learning. She isn't as quick to learn as Kassa or Erns, but then she is 5 so can't expect too much in such a short time.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

In a word: nope.

He's a lab puppy, they're pretty nuts, whatever color they come in, lol.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast