For those of you who have labs that crossed the bridge
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those of you who have labs that crossed the bridge

LabMom1 is offline Junior Member

DefaultFor those of you who have labs that crossed the bridge

What do you miss most? I just posted on the rainbow bridge thread about having to let our Maggie (who had turned 11 in July) go, it's been three weeks ago yesterday, and i miss her terribly. The house seems so empty. It's little things i miss, like having our (hubby and I) sneakers in the same place all the time when we are not used to that. Or always having the back door closed now when it used to always be open. I also miss her sigh, she used to do that alot. I still have (believe this or not) her insulin in the fridge (she was diabetic) and all her meds (she also had Cushings and LP) in the closet. I haven't been able to throw them away yet, that final reminder that she is not coming back. What one (or two or three) things do you miss about your labs?

Maggie
    July 1 2000 - September 22 2011

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HarveysMum is offline Senior Member

Hugs to you.

As for me, what do i miss? Everything. Her smiling face, her 'OMG, i haven't seen you for the longest time' welcome, when i only went to put the bin out. Her 'everything'. I have Harvey now, and he brings so much to my life, but my Rin will always be there.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I am sorry about your Maggie. Molly crossed the bridge this past May and the thing I miss the most is how she was always the first one waiting at the door when I came home from work. Even though we still have two labs at home, Molly was the one who was the most excited when either DH or I came home. I miss her quiet ways, how she always was just there, by my side, no matter where I was in the house. Her Orvis bed is still in the family room. I just can't put it away. We never have them long enough.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I am sorry Labmom and Bernie.

I miss so many things with Kassy. One is the fact she didn't get the chance to be an old dog. She was my first dog and we had an amazing bond. she had a sparkle in her eyes, made me laugh. She would cuddle up on my knee, and I swear she read my mind. I wouldn't move and think about a walk and she would rush off to get her lead.Sometimes I would tease her and ignore her. She would throw the lead onto my knee, get up behind me and push me off the couch. If she wanted something and I ignored her she would go to my closet and drag out my shoes, or clothes. Then look at me and say." There is a whole lot more I can get if you don't listen to me.". She would give herself a shower then sleep on the bed. lolol.

I still have her red collars, bowl and Mr Grey. No other dog will have them or wear a red collar. Erns got a few of her toys, but he shred them. Tessa doesn't so has them. Tessa is so much like Kassa it is uncanny.
    The hurt in your heart never really goes, but time does make it a bit better. Treasure you precious moments.
    Last edited by kassabella; 10-14-2011 at 09:41 PM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

superwy is offline Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Jake was our first baby, and he died at age 9, four years ago. It is the reason we got Wyatt. Despite having a 4 year old and an almost 2 year old at home, it was too quiet. No sweet click on the floor, no kisses and loves. I'll never forget the call from the vet saying the cancer had spread, and he couldn't be saved in surgery. Todd and I cried outside the school while picking up our son from camp. The saddest day. Wyatt does bring us such joy, though. Never a replacement, but there is no limit to the love in your life.
    Kim

Wyatt & Echo

Fender2011 is offline Member

So sorry for everyone's loss. Hugs to all. We had to put our black angel Chelsea down in July, she was 13.5 years old. I miss everything about her. How she would just be there, it didn't matter where I went, or how sore and tired she was she would follow. How she would bump my arm and send my coffee everywhere if she thought she needed attention and I was on the computer. How she would sit every morning and wait for her morning loves as I would sit beside her on top of the stairs before we would go down and begin our day. How she would run upstairs and shut herself in the bathroom everytime a football game came on because she didn't like football at all. How when she was annoyed with us she would give a huffy little sigh. How she loved the boy she grew up with and would sit with him for hours, and sleep with him at night. We have Fender now and I'm building and enjoying different memories with him however we will never ever forget Chelsea.

morla is offline Senior Member

I have not lost a lab yet but i can not possibly imagine the sadness i would feel. I don't know if i would ever stop crying. Tear drops would rain all day and the sadness would be there forever. I would never feel joy again.
    SIMON

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I have often said they "broke the mold" when Maggie came along. She was so special. We lost her on May 17, 2011 at age 12. Maggie was a very vocal dog. She had different voices for about everything. We always said if a dog could talk she would. She was so smart. If she wanted something, I'd say go tell daddy and she would go find him, or Darren, Ryan or other family members, whoever we told her to go tell... She knew which one we wanted her to go find. My husband would lay on the couch and if Maggie wanted fed, she would come up and nag at him, he would feign sleep and she'd grab him by the wrist with her mouth and pull him up off the couch. If we got ready to go somewhere, no matter how quiet we were trying to sneak out, she'd come running from no matter where in the house she was. She knew which toy was which. You could say "Maggie go get your ball" and she'd fish through her box of toys and find it. Same with her stuffy Brian (the dog from Family guy), we'd say Maggie go get Brian and she'd go get him, or her sock toy or whatever you asked her to bring you. She was our heart dog. We also kept her collar and tags and her stuffy Brian. We miss her every single day...
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

I miss fondling Cam's ears, and the way she'd jump into one of the kids' beds when we told her to "go to bed!". We all miss Cam. I have a chunk of fur that I found on the floor, one daughter has her collar hanging on the rearview mirror of her car, and her ashes are on top of my fridge. Poor Bean hasn't even gotten a fridge photo yet, but we are all making memories of him, and someday we'll have a long list of things we love about him, as well. Like @superwy, I just needed another dog to be there. BTW, I love rubbing my face on Bean's velvety lip fur.
    Last edited by SharonaZamboni; 10-15-2011 at 12:48 AM.

HeySquirt is offline Senior Member

While I guess I can say I'm lucky enough to have not lost a lab yet... I lost my Shadow who was a GSD/Husky mix 4 years ago at the age of 14. I miss that old man every damn day. He was my protector, my secret keeper, my tear licker and my heart. Next friday I'm finally getting my tattoo for him and I'm so excited!

My heart breaks so much for anyone who loses there pup.... but especially those who lost them so young. I have been blessed to have "old men" in my life and I can only hope I'm that blessed with my "Little" E!
    Amy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast