Good thoughts, please, for Wesley
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good thoughts, please, for Wesley

dweck is offline Senior Member

DefaultGood thoughts, please, for Wesley

~~sigh~~

he was attacked at obed class last night.

It was lightning-quick. In a blink, I looked down and there was a 90lb doberman male on top of him and a 25lb male cocker underneath him and all I saw was claws and teeth.

He's bruised. And the wound on his dewclaw opened up again, so he's limping and licking. But thank god that's the extent of it.

I'm not even sure what happened.

I took him to class for the first time in a LONG time last night. And FWIW, he was having a blast. LOVED seeing our instructor again. And his other friends. And -- get this -- he did REALLY WELL, especially, again, for not being there for a long, long time....

But.

Reese is an intact Dobe about 3 years old. He's very vocal, which I used to think was him being needy but now I see is him being dominant. He'll whine and talk and rooooooooooo through an entire hr's class.

We did Fig 8s with him, and on one of the passbys (he was working; we were posting), he went to nip Wes on the muzz. I was shocked. Just this little flick of teeth and 'tude. Reese's owner was all over him: DON'T YOU DARE! WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!?! YOU JERK!

I praised Wesley for his restraint and let it go.

Later. Recalls. Reese was offleash. And flew right by his handler and sailed into Wesley. And a cocker on the other side of the training room decided it would be great sport to join in the fray as well.

I was -- for the first time in my life -- absolutely helpless. I remember looking down at this war at my feet and seeing Wesley getting slammed and hearing him yelp (his dewclaw had been bent back as he skidded across the floor) and all I could do was.... nothing. I remember trying to gain some sort of control w/his leash, which I was holding at the time, but. Nada. It was one of those slo-mo nightmare things.

But the first thing after that that I was really aware of was our instructor VAULTING over, grabbing all 90lbs of Reese, and tossing him (yes, literally TOSSING him out of the pile. By this time, the cocker's mom was there, breaking things up, too. Reese's mom then let him have it in spades.

And just like that, it was over.

I shook like a leaf.

Checked Wes. No bleeding. Nothing of any import except the dewclaw.

After treats and lovins for Wes, we called it a night and went home.

Poor guy. He took it very easy @ home. And this morning was like a boxer the day after losing a bout. Slow. Didn't eat much. Just.... in recovery.

And probably the biggest blow was to his ego: he's clearly not at the top of the totem pole anymore.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

Oh no...poor Wesley. Hate when that happens and you are caught off guard like that. Lots of extra treats and lovins for Wes.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry!!! Poor Wesley!! I hope he feels better....something similar happened to us at a soccer game. Java (8 months old at the time) was attacked out of nowhere by a male boxer. He was on top of her, growling and barking, and had her by the throat. There was NOTHING I could do as this dog kept shifting so that I couldn't get ahold of him. His owner (an old woman) had no control over him. Some people were finally able to pull him off of Java. She didn't have any wounds or injuries (luckily she still has lots of extra fur around her head/neck) but I was very shaken up and so was she. The woman dragged her dog away and put him in the car. I found out the next day that they were being sued because that dog had attacked another dog without warning and when the other dog's owner stepped in to save his dog the boxer then attacked him. So...this dog should NEVER have been at this soccer game with kids and other dogs to begin with.
    It's a helpless and scary feeling when you see your baby in a position like that and you feel helpless.
    Healing thoughts to Wesley!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I remember looking down at this war at my feet and seeing Wesley getting slammed and hearing him yelp (his dewclaw had been bent back as he skidded across the floor
    This broke my heart. Poor Wes.

Wow Dan, that is unbelievable. WTH is wrong with the Dobes owner, why isn't this dog neutered. Clearly they can't be thinking of breeding him?! What was their reaction to you?

Thank God it wasn't worse.

Give our boy a big kiss on the mush for me.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

kelli is offline Senior Member

poor puppy.. i would have been beside myself..

What happens now with the dobe? Muzzle for class?

kelli, tucker and koda

NM Lab Lover is offline Senior Member

Poor Wesley - and you too. I hope he starts to feel better in a couple of days. I am not so sure that the doberman is ready to be in polite company though. He has proven he is not ready to be off leash even in a class situation. Thank goodness the instructor had enough strength to pick him up and "remove" him. I shudder to think what could have happened to Wesley.
    {{HUGS}} and extra snacks for Wesley!!
    Love JL. Justlabradors.com!!!

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Oh no, poor Wesley. Hope he mends quickly.

Melissa is offline Senior Member

Poor Wes. Hopefully after a rest today, he'll be no worse for the wear.

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end. -- Unknown

dweck is offline Senior Member

Dobe is intact for show purposes. He competes in Obed and Conf.

And FWIW, the moms of both the Dobe and the Cocker are NOT chuckleheads who are inattentive. They're both very experienced handlers. And it's not like Reese and Wesley have had issues in the past. But I think the difference was being in a confined area. We were inside. Outside training, Reese could ignore Wesley easily, letting him get lost in the crowd. Although they've never been playful-friendly, up to last night, there was no indication that they had any issues.

But I'm sure Reese will be under VIGILANT attention from now on. Because if he can turn on Wesley, who was doing absolutely nothing even that resembled posturing, he can turn on anyone.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Poor Wesley.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast