Diahrrea in four month old puppy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diahrrea in four month old puppy

hcopp is offline Junior Member

DefaultDiahrrea in four month old puppy

Hello,

First time post here, sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Oliver, our four month old yellow has had on and off diahrrea for a week or so. At first it was because we gave him a bully stick and that didn't agree with him, that cleared up, but it seems to be back. He is taking classes, and we are using zuke's all natural moist treats, he had a decent amount of them tuesday night and it seemed to flare up a bit more than usual. Should we be concerned? Feed him pumpkin or rice and chicken? Are we feeding him too much? We feed him AvoDerm chicken and rice formula 1 cup three times a day. He had hookworm, but his last visit the vet said it was all clear and this was only a few days ago. To be honest, our vet doesn't seem to be interested in our dog at all, and they blew me off when I was in the last time and voiced these concerns, and when I called they didn't even seem to have all his records in the same place.

Long winded, I know. I just don't know if I should wait another day or two and see if it clears up or what. On a side note he is still incredibly feisty, and has a killer appetite, he doesn't seem to go any more than usual, its just very very runny when he goes.

Thanks for the help,

Hayes

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

Find a new vet and take him in ASAP. He could become dehydrated very quickly. Don't know anything about the food you are feeding.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

Get a new vet, get tests done as it could be many things, a parasite or his food. Too many possibilities. My lab had ghardia (sp) when he was young and he dehydrated very fast. He had to receive IV with fluids etc. Please get it looked after asap and let us know what the NEW vet says.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Ditto the above - it could be giardia, it could be that the food is too rich, it could be that he has some other kind of bug. The real risk is that he will (and is probably already) dehydrated. He needs to see a vet. Any diarreah that lasts more than a day or so needs to be checked out by a vet.

I would also take him off all food and treats and feed plain boiled rice and boiled ground chicken for a couple of days until his gut settles down.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Get a new vet! Our Sophie will get soft stools if she gets into the cat food. Not really diahrea, but soft, and she'll go often. You might be giving him too many of the treats, or they just might not agree with him. We give pumpkin when she gets loose stools from the cat food. I swear we could put the cat food on the roof and she'd manage to get into it! Pumpkin clears Sophie up over night. If Oliver doesn't show improvement over night, I'd be finding a vet. I would watch what you feed him. Those treats could be the culprit. Puppies can dehydrate really fast, so I wouldn't let it go on but just overnight.
    Last edited by Sophiesmama; 10-13-2011 at 08:48 PM.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

morla is offline Senior Member

Aw! I hope he is ok!
    SIMON

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

It took me quite a while to get Bean's poop regulated. He's had his share of boiled rice dinners. If it's not an excessive amount of watery stool, you could try boiled white rice for a day and see if that helps. I finally found a food that works for him, and he got only tiny amounts of all-meat treats for puppy class, since he also had a flaky skin/itchy problem. Good luck, it can be quite frustrating!

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

As stated many times, find a new vet ASAP! Plain vanilla yogurt will also help. He definitely should not have had this for such a length of time. Good luck and hope you find a new vet soon, yours sounds very "distracted" and I am trying very hard to be kind.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

New Vet ASAP. Your vet should be concerned and if he/she isn't, then that is a signal to find one that is. Diarrhea isn't something that should be ignored if it is frequent. Let us know what you decide.

georgie is offline Senior Member

It could be that the food may be too rich for him. But a puppy can become dehydrated quickly. If you feel your vet isn't concerned....find a new vet ASAP. Oliver could have a parasite that is causing the diarrhea. Good luck & let us know how it turns out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast