Koivu's 1st Hot Spot

Thread: Koivu's 1st Hot Spot

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

DefaultKoivu's 1st Hot Spot

Grrrr..... We're at my parents in northern Georgia for the week and Koivu has developed a hot spot on his left side. He's never had one before and I don't have all my usual stuff with me, so for the moment I've cut some of the hair around it and put some purple stuff on it (Amazon.com: For Animals K9 Ear Solutions - 12 oz - Liquid: Health & Personal Care) because it's what I have with me and it does say it can be used on hot spots.
    We're going into town tonight for dinner, so I'm going to stop and buy some Gold Bond powder while we're there, as I've heard it's helpful and it's easy to obtain.
    I don't have an e-cone with me, so I'm going to give him a couple Benadryl before we go out and hope he doesn't fuss with it too much. Right now he's sleeping and cute as can be, but it's in a location he can both lick and scratch.

Any other suggestions for what I can do for him??? If it really starts to look bad I'll try to get him to a vet here tomorrow, or see ours after we get home this weekend.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

hope t goes away soon. Found this ina an article thing: If you cannot get to your vet right away there are some home remedies that you can use to help relieve your canine companion's discomfort for a while. Try green or black tea compresses on the wound, which can be soothing and relieve the itching and pain. A medicated powder like Gold Bond is also safe to use to help stop itching. As far as healing the wound goes you can use vitamin E and anti-biotic creams on the wound as you would with a human being. Just make sure that your dog isn't licking the ointment straight off as soon as you put it on. If the wound is mild then these methods may work to completely heal your pup! But remember, you must address the underlying cause of the infection if you ever want to solve the problem for good."
    Dog Hot Spots How To Treat Hot Spots In Dogs

P.S. Koivu adn bentley kind of look the same except for the ears.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

When Mitzi had her first one a week ago from last Sunday, I washed the area with antiseptic wash and applied a lot of antibiotic cream (not the petrolium based one) went to church and by the time I got back, it went from bright red to light pink. The next day it was normal. Don't know if it was the antibiotic cream or the prayers at church that helped.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

morla is offline Senior Member

He has a hot spot? Oh!
    SIMON