I caught my 1 year old yellow lab with an empty bag full of menthol cough drops in his mouth.
If he ate 20 small cough drops, do I need to do anything for him?
Last edited by Yellow Dog; 10-13-2011 at 12:00 AM.
I would call the vet and read out the ingredients to see what they think. Erns has eaten a bag and vet said keep an eye on him, but there could be ingredients in yours that may harm him.
If you can't get a vet come back with the ingredients and I will call my vet if you are worried.
kassabella - Thanks for responding. Actually, I did a quick check of my remaining inventory of cough drops, and they are all there, so Murphy must have gotten into the trash and found an empty bag of cough drops.
I'm sorry for worrying everyone, but I had forgotten that I had moved one full bag of cough drops to another room so I could use it, and I assumed that was the bag he had gotten into. Fortunately, the little stinker must have gotten into the trash and found an empty bag there.
Thanks for your concern.
You haven't worried anyone. I have come on at midnight wanting advice in a hurry. Sometimes it is do I call the vet or not so this is a good place to come as someone is usually on to help us off the ledge.
Best thing is it turned out o.k.
If ever in doubt, Google Pet Poison Hotline and call them!
Anything w/ xylitol/sugar free candy can be lethal.
WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014
HK got into a bag of cough drops on our roadtrip to Fl this past Jan.
Called our vet long distance, read every word I could find on the bag to her. She said she didn't hear anything to be alarmed about, but would contact poison control and get back to me. She did within the hour. She had also called the manufacturer and got the rest of the ingredients. Told me to watch HK, she would probably have be expelling water rather than stools for a day or two, just make sure she had plenty of water available at all times.
Well, that is exactly what HK did, and what we did. We really appreciate our vet. She didn'thave to do all that she did, when we were over 500 miles away and travelling further.
Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.
I hope he is ok! Can cough drops hurt dogs?
It's the one time you're glad he got into the garbage.. Fortunately, the little stinker must have gotten into the trash and found an empty bag there.
Judy goes into the closet and goes through my purses to find cough drops, but never gets more than a few there.
The thing to watch out for in ingredients is the artificial sweetner Xylitol. It is very toxic to dogs and it is used in all sorts of foods.
Here's an article describing why it's so dangerous.
Toxic Dog Treats-What you should know
Also grapes and raisins are a big no no.
Duke and Freckles at their country home