Labs and Small pets

Thread: Labs and Small pets

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultLabs and Small pets

My son is now almost 6 years old and wants a Guinea pig of his own. My wife and I both think it’s a good idea, I have had them myself as a child and we believe it will teach him some responsibility of having a pet of “his own” to take care of…at least for a while. So Santa may bring hi one for Christmas. I’m sure I will be doing most of the work as he grows board of it then it will become the family pet as I always keep pets to the end.

My concerns are…although I had many Guinea Pigs and other various creatures growing up I nave owned a Lab with them.

I was wondering how the dogs may react to them. The Guinea Pig will moist likely be kept in cage in my sons room…usually at night the dogs do have free run of the bedrooms with a gate at the top of the stairs..

Should I be concerned about the dogs trying to have a midnight snack on his pudgy little friend? I want my son to learn some responsibility.. not how the food chain works...

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Well, you can probably forget the idea of a small pet's care teaching a six year old responsibility. The novelty of it will most likely disappear within days. Just show your child how care is given and how to properly handle the little guy.

Your Lab, on the other hand, will be just fine if you introduce it to the pig in a loving and nurturing way. Let them both know they are members of the household and one is not to antagonize the other.

Good luck and have fun with this!

Seamus and Flynn

fburke is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paddysmom View Post
    Well, you can probably forget the idea of a small pet's care teaching a six year old responsibility. The novelty of it will most likely disappear within days. Just show your child how care is given and how to properly handle the little guy.
    Good luck and have fun with this!

I agree with this and do anticipate this … he’s a good little guy and I think it will be nice to have something of “his own”…with a new little sister he has been doing a lot of sharing…dogs and all…

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

My experience has been that Labs get a long great with other pets, small ones included. The only concern is the size difference- they could easily injure/kill a small pet without meaning to- like doing a play bow. For that reason, the only interaction Caleb has with my rabbit is with the cage or xpen between them.

eta- oops, forgot to mention, Caleb is my 3rd Lab, and I've had many small pets over the years as well.
    Last edited by MicksMom; 11-12-2009 at 09:05 AM.

Garth is offline Registered Users

It's hard to say. Jo came into a house full of Chihuahuas, Pugs & Shih Tzu's & trust me, the little dogs ruled the house for all of his 14 years.

For a while, we also had 2 Chinchillas (the rodent kind). They had their cages in the spare room & Jo never once tried to get to them. They were introduced to the dogs gradually but only to sniff each other. They were never allowed to run free with the dogs but were let out of their cages under strict supervision. When they were out, the dogs watched from a distance but never tried to catch them.

Then there was the day I came home to find a brown hen running around on my driveway. To this day, I have no idea where she came from but I adopted her & she was treated as one of the dogs. She used to run around with them, come in the house with them - everything. One day, I went outside to find the hen running around the back yard with her head half bit off. I knew it was Jo because he had the incriminating brown feathers sticking out of his mouth. I rushed her to the vet expecting her to be PTS & he saved her. About a month later, the same thing happened. She got out of her pen without me knowing. Took her to the vet again expecting her to be PTS & once again he stitched her up. After that, I gave her to one of the vet nurses who had a hobby farm & she lived out her days there.

Jo was one of the most placid dogs I've ever owned & would never have hurt a flea. I have no doubt what he did was unintentional. I'm sure he was just playing with her & didn't know what he had done. So to answer your question, will a Guinea Pig be safe around yours? There's really no way of knowing. Even if you think it's safe, you just can't tell.