Issues Walking
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issues Walking

Alaskalab is offline Senior Member

DefaultIssues Walking

Does anyone here have issues with loose dogs while walking? In general I do not allow my dogs to visit with unattended, loose dogs while walking on leash. You just never know. Anyhow, it sure does seem lately we are having a lot of problem with loose dogs. The neighbor's golden retriever flies out into the roadway snarling, snapping, growling and barking. I talk with the owners, they chain him for a week, supervise for another week, and then he is loose again. I live on a culdesac so this is basically the only way to go. With walking 2 dogs it is difficult to carry a stick, however I have been packing pepper spray. A little worried about using it as I have heard it can blow back. Animal control basically doesn't exist in Alaska so I am seriously consider ditching the walks. I would love to get in the car and find somewhere else to walk but after working all day there isn't many hours left to do with them all I want. And I am sure my pissed off attitude doesn't help anything.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

No advice, but you sure have my sympathy! I have a reactive dog, and would hate having other dogs approach on a leashed walk.

Unfortunately Willy has become reactive due to this I think. We have an appt with a behaviorist soon, so it might be a good idea to halt the walks for a little while. They sure love their walks though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

morla is offline Senior Member

My dogs sometimes limps a little bit from bringing him to the park when we run him with his tennis balls. But when he gets home he drinks a good old drink and then wants to play some more and is fine!
    SIMON

hbeam is offline Junior Member

tonight i was walking my dogs...i have an 8 yr old black lab mix and a 6 month old black lab pup...my older dog was lagging behind me, my puppy was ahead of me, not so good on leash yet, but have a no pull harness that at least keeps her from pulling. any way, a black lab was out loose, come at my puppy with hair standing up, teeth showing, growling...it happened so fast, all i could do was yell at it, well, my adult dog was between my pup and the loose dog in a split second, and he growled and snapped at it, it yelped and ran off. was pretty scary, but my boy is pretty protective, if need be, a sweet dog otherwise, but has no issues if provoked...we have walked by this dog before and it was loose, but never approached my dogs, just glad it didnt end bad, but now i think i need to avoid that part of town...

kassabella is offline Senior Member

This doesn't happen here very often. I have trouble keeping mine settled when dogs do that. Erns is quick to get antsy in situations like that so I try not to put him in any situation he might do it. I get uptight before we start the walk, then he picks it up and part of the reason he will jump around.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

Loose dogs is very common in my neighborhood. It is really frustrating when I can't enjoy a simple walk with my dog. One thing I have tried recently is bringing treats. If a dog is bluffing (barking but not really serious) I can throw a treat and the dog with run after the treat and I can walk by. I normally just walk faster past any loose dog. Usually a loose dog will not follow us.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

I have tried throwing the treats however I think that actually attracks them now. I am just really frustrated and venting a bit. My dogs are not outside unsupervised for any reason. Do people actually think it is ok to let their dogs wander? What about cars, other animals, and not all dogs get along even if they are friendly. We went out last night and just as we were about to turn the bend home the neighbor's 4 dogs started coming down the road at us. One loose dog is bad enough, but a pack? The puppy barked and tried to hide between my legs and Willy just got nervous to the point he was hard to keep calm. They seem to all be friendly dogs but that is way too much to deal with. My dogs are under control, leashed, and there is no one around to control them.

hbeam is offline Junior Member

There are a few dogs in my neighborhood, that a simple, firm, NO, GO HOME works, but not always..it is scary, my puppy gets scared, and my adult dog just goes into protective mode...my sweet boy on two occasions has had n altercation, and i dont like it one bit, the dog warden does nothing around here...and rumor has it there is a dog with mange down the road from me that thw owner lets out only at night because she dont want anyone to see it, several calls has been made to the humane society and they wont do anything. I live in a small rural town, a nice town, but this house is the worst one, you can smell animal waste coming from the house...from across the street!! I dont know what to do...at a loss and frustrated like you are.

blakesmum is offline Junior Member

i have this problem as well except the dog in question is with his owner! she never leashes it and it has bit my dog 3 times now. have had it out with her but she doesnt care. next time it happens i will call the police and see if they can do anything about it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast