High value treat? and back to the drawing board.....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High value treat? and back to the drawing board.....

rpost7786 is offline Senior Member

DefaultHigh value treat? and back to the drawing board.....

Avery's birthday is Halloween.... and he's almost 1 woo hoo. HOWEVER, he's become a brat lately and isn't listening anymore. ESPECIALLY walking on the lead. It's his way or the highway.
    It's back to the drawing board ladies and gentleman.... Back to the basics. He's never been great at walking on the lead but I'm putting my foot down now b/c taking him for walks has been so miserable lately. He knows if you have cookies he will pay attention for a little while till he's bored then its sniff sniff, pull pull, oh a squirral!!! Forget cats, he doesn't listen for squat when he sees a cat. It's like he sees blood and has to kill the cat. Terrible.... SMH It's almost embarresing. I have a disobedient child doggie.

Any suggestions on High value treats/ training and getting him back on track? Should I take him back to school? I was possibly thinking of a e collar which someone told me at the dog park works wonders. Ideas would be helpful.

Thanks!!!
    Rachel, Keith, Scarlett & Avery = One happy little Family

"A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?"- John Grogan

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

For my girls, their high value treats are cheese or the dried liver treats.
    Although they will do anything for a piece of my pumpkin muffin too....

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

It won't hurt to get himback in classes. A lot of people expect one or two sets of classes to solve their problems, when, in reality, it takes longer than that. As for high value treats- freeze dried liver is pretty common. For Caleb he just about turns inside out for the banana & oatmeal, or banana/peanutbutter & oatmeal treats I make, and the gluten free salmon ones a friend made for him. Liver brownies were a biggie for Mick- pureed liver, and a box of Jiffy Corn Bread mix. The big problem with those is the corn bread mix, but, as long as Avery doesn't have issues with grains, should be OK.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Try going back to class. Dio was a real pain at that age, wouldn't listen, ran away from us (catch me if you can game) and had temper tantrums on the leash. Going to class really helped put us back in order.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I'd simply get him more focused on you, The not pulling will come.

If you simply want him not to pull, invest in an all-tape flexi line. Let him get out to a pre-marked spot on the leash and break it, and call him back while you run the other way, if he doesn't come, reel him in slowly and then reward like the dickens when he catches you. This will give you a way to let him explore without him yanking you one way or another.

And I'd teach him to 'touch' or target your hand. No matter where my dogs are, the minute I yell touch, they come running, and always get a good rubbing and wrestling, no treats. This is probably, next to the come command, the most important thing I have taught them, because I don't have to bribe them in, they come for the fun and stay for the lovin's.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Please, please do not use an e-collar, in my opinion they are cruel. As stated above cheese, dried liver treats - there are so many you can use. Have you tried a "Gentle Leader" head harness for Avery? (I believe there is another name brand but basically same idea also.) My Ozzy was like this when it came to little creatures that were out and about when he was alive and the age of your Avery. My Emma, who is a Border Collie/Lab mix and 4 yrs. old., is still like this, not every time, bunnies are a very special favorite of Emma's. She will settle quickly but it took a lot of hard work, time and patience. I would defintely head back for some training/classes. Maxx is only 12 weeks old and he behaves very well on the leash, he is a very laid back and mellow puppy unless it comes to playing and rough housing with Emma. (I am sure this could change as he grows stronger/older.) I know it is frustrating but if you are consistent and continue to work on this I am sure you will have improvement. Avery is still a puppy, he will learn. Good luck.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I HIGHLY recommend going back to class. Obedience classes are not a one time deal - they are great to go back to for refreshers now and then.

High value treats - cat food (wet), Natural Balance rolls (it is really dog food but works great for treats), stinky stinky cheese...

Are you trying to get his attention BEFORE he sees teh cat? or is he seeing the cat, focusing, then you are tryin to get his attention back? Once a dog is focused like that it is very hard to "get them back". your goal should be to, as often as possible, spot teh cats BEFORE he does (I have gotten good at this over the years - I have learned it is in my best interest to see squirrles, cats, ducks...BEFORE my dogs do) and then TALK TO HIM before he spots it. Keep talking to him, get his attention. You are already ahead of the curve at this point even if he spots it later on (my goal is not to have the dog NOT see the things at all - once I have their attention I may even point it out to them depending where we are).

IF you go the e-collar route I HIGHLY recommend working wtih a trainer. The BIGGGEST problem there is goign to be your timing. Just putting it on and shoking him when he sees a cat isn't going to work.

Lastly - while exercise is not a CURE for the issue - it can be MUCH easier to work wtih a dog that is getting plenty of free play. SO make sure he gets plenty of daily exercise.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Back to class. I need to make an appointment with Dozer for back to class. He's lost his brains a bit. LOL

As for treats Zukes and Benny Bullies are great for training.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post
    I'd simply get him more focused on you, The not pulling will come.

If you simply want him not to pull, invest in an all-tape flexi line. Let him get out to a pre-marked spot on the leash and break it, and call him back while you run the other way, if he doesn't come, reel him in slowly and then reward like the dickens when he catches you. This will give you a way to let him explore without him yanking you one way or another.

And I'd teach him to 'touch' or target your hand. No matter where my dogs are, the minute I yell touch, they come running, and always get a good rubbing and wrestling, no treats. This is probably, next to the come command, the most important thing I have taught them, because I don't have to bribe them in, they come for the fun and stay for the lovin's.
    How do you teach that? I'd love to have that with Dozer.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

this will show it pretty well, but I do NOT do it with treats, not even to train. This is something I want them to enjoy as much as I do and it works ALL THE TIME if I don't have treats.

Nola is 4 months and she would rather 'Touch' than anything in the world.
    Last edited by Luvmydog2much; 10-12-2011 at 11:23 AM.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast