It breaks my heart a little...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It breaks my heart a little...

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultIt breaks my heart a little...

Starting to see the visual signs of Baloo aging, even though he's only 4.5 years old. Mostly the gray hairs on his chinny chin, but they are scattered other places as well.

I knew it would happen eventually, obviously, but I didn't expect it to hit me as hard as it has. Peanut has a few gray whiskers and its never bothered me, she's always been a bit of an "old soul". I picture Monster as a grizzly old man and chuckle about it because I think he'll look hilarious. But Baloo bothers me. We joke about getting him "just for dogs" so I will feel better, lol.

Maybe because he still acts almost exactly the same as he did when he was six months old. Still all simple cheerful happiness, same energy level, etc. He's always been "the puppy", and still acts in a way that tells me he has fully embraced that role and has no intentions of allowing another to take it.

Has the aging of some dogs bothered you more than others? Am I crazy?? *sigh*.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Java is only 2 but she is already starting to gray under her chin.
    She actually started last year after her surgeries.
    It does make me sad...mostly because I know her gray hairs are a result of everything she has been through in her short life so far...

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

Saba turned 6 in September but he's been getting grey fur since he was 2. Slowly at first, now.. it's everwhere. His chin, the back of his front legs, in his ears, and in between the paw pads.
    Added to that a few fatty lumps ... it is sad to see it. But he also has energy and lots of desire to play and be silly. I hope he lives for a long time still.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Absolutely, when my Ozzy started to gray at the same age I remember how sad it made me. I think because he was a black Lab is was more noticeable. I like the idea of "just for dogs" to make us feel better, lol. Ozzy never acted his age either and I think that made it much easier to not concentrate on the gray on his muzzle. If I hadn't known his age I would have guessed he was maybe a year old right up until the last 2 weeks of his life.

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Definitely. Dio turned 2 in May and his chin is already almost all white. He's still a goofball, he just calms down faster now! It for sure brings his mortality to light though, which I hate to think about..
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Ruby has always been an old soul. Now that she's 7, she seems 'precious' to me. I don't know what it is, but the simple thought of her getting old makes me weepy.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Rocky started to grey (on the chin) by the age of 2. He now has quite the grey chin, grey furs on his feet, and along his snout. He's also always been an "old soul" (or "old man" haha) but it breaks my heart to picture him being a senior.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

My Lexi is around 8, so her getting gray is expected, but I just started to notice more grays appearing in places. She's got a couple of gray eyebrows, the fur between her toes is gray, she's got a lot of gray on her belly & back legs.

Even though she does not act nearly 8, it makes me to see her aging. I keep telling her, "Momma is NOT ready to contemplate life without you yet!"

My pretty girl, Lexi!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Diesel is 5 1/2 and is extremely grey - people think he is quite a bit older. He has a lot of grey on his face, his chest and front legs. I don't know if his health issues have lent a hand in this or what - he still acts like a youngster and has no mobility problems.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

dweck is offline Senior Member

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast