Post surgical question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post surgical question

Tucker is offline Senior Member

DefaultPost surgical question

Last night I brought Tucker home and he was still really dopey from the surgery...turned out to be MUCH more invasive than I was expecting...he has over 50 staples in his neck...anyway, I couldn't get him out of the car last night...I was in my driveway for over an hour until someone came over to help...I thought maybe because of the drugs he couldn't get up (I lifted him into the car, but getting out, I can't do it on my own)...he came inside and crashed on the tile...after a couple hours, he indicated he had to go out...we were outside for over a half hour and he couldn't pee...my heart just broke for him...it seemed like he had to go, but couldn't get it started..I called the vet (credit to my vet - HE called me back at 10 pm personally, not the on call vet)..he said it is normal in older, arthritic dogs to have trouble the night of surgery, but he should feel better in the morning...so I slept on the tile floor in a sleeping bag next to him...this morning, he grumbled to go out, so I jumped up and took him...success - he peed! Yay, big relief! My questions - he hasn't barked at all since he has been home ( I am wondering if it because he has staples in the back of his head/neck and it hurts), or if this is common, more importantly though, he can't really get up on his own...he is 9...has this happened to anyone? I don't want to keep bugging my vet for things that are perfectly normal after surgery, I just don't know what is normal and while he explained everything to me yesterday, it is kind of a blur because I was in such shock when I saw him and how many staples he has

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't worry too much yet. it may just be taking him a little longer to come out of the anesthesia. by the end of today he should be feeling a lot better. The tube doe the anesthesia may have irritated his throat a bit

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Thanks! I didn't think about the tube...also, just opened the fridge to get a peach and when I turned around, there he was! I guess if it is important enough, he can get up! Lol

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

He will be dopey for a few days and did they send any pain meds home with him?

Best wishes for Tucker.

Thanks - yes, he has 3 days of tramadol and 14 days of an antibiotic...I am just really worried about his back legs...he seems very unstable

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    Thanks - yes, he has 3 days of tramadol and 14 days of an antibiotic...I am just really worried about his back legs...he seems very unstable
    Glad he got pain meds. Just keep an eye on him and if you are worried about anything I would call your vet.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

When my senior had an operation back in the Spring, I had to let him sleep in the car for several hours before my husband came home so that we could lift him out. And not too long ago, I got him sick by giving him some coconut oil, thinking it would be good for his health and coat, we almost took him to the E-vet he looked so bad. I think the old guys just take a bit longer to recover. I had another dog at the vet not too long ago for an operation and she about RAN out the front door when I came to get her.

morla is offline Senior Member

I hope he heals quickly!
    SIMON

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Poor guy, I hope all goes well with him and he heals quickly. Too funny that he was there when you opened the refrigerator, does a Lab ever think they have been fed enough, lol?

Swamplily is offline Senior Member

I hope he has a speedy recovery.
    Abby, Blk Lab, born 12-15-05
    Taco, Beagle, gotcha 1-15-09
    Ernie - Y-Farms Honest Ernesto, CGC, Blk Lab, born 10-4-09

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast