The decision on the feet
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: The decision on the feet

  1. #1
    AngusFangus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    12,586

    DefaultThe decision on the feet

    ...for anyone who's interested in this at all.

    Well, I called the dermatologist and talked to the receptionist. I wasn't super impressed, really. They said it would be $140 for a consult (times two, because they would insist on seeing both...fair enough, they don't really know the history). The next step, usually, is intradermal testing.

    Then I decided to call my vet and make an appt with him for today, just me, no boys, to talk to him about options. He called me on the phone as I was about to head that way, saying that he thought he'd save me the trip (and the office visit fee).

    Well, we talked for about half an hour. He is really insistent about doing the punch biopsy, so I asked him a dozen questions about it and he went over it all in a lot of detail (I'll spare you). He agreed with me that it's probably something environmental. He also agreed it was probably the same thing on both, so we really only needed to do one dog.

    Bottom line: It sounds to me like I could pay almost $300 for consults at the derm vet and still potentially have a lot of testing in front of me. She very well might even do the consults and then say, "Punch biopsy."

    At this moment, I'm leaning towards doing the punch biopsy with my vet. It will hopefully give us at least an idea of what it is or isn't. The boys are both very comfortable with him, as am I. He will send the biopsy to one of a handful of derm vets and they will interpret and advise. And, I know he will call me back and put up with my requests (lol).

    The vet is pushing hard for it mainly because it will help him know what medicine it will be responsive to. He did mention steroids as one possible course of treatment. Not excited about that.

    I'd prefer knowing what it is we need to avoid, so this doesn't happen again, but I'm beginning to think that is going to be next to impossible to nail down. Maybe this will at least give us a clue, though.

    One of them (which one?) will have to be off all Benadryl and ACV for the next two weeks. I haven't decided who that will be. It's a little weird having to choose.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Paddysmom's Avatar
    Paddysmom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    28,830

    Default

    Good luck. I'm sure you will take what you think is the best course of action.

    Seamus and Flynn

  4. #3
    Labradorable's Avatar
    Labradorable is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ON, Canada
    Posts
    4,176

    Default

    To choose? Flip a coin. That's what I'd do. Good luck!
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)



  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Rushpuppy's Avatar
    Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    12,420

    Default

    This is really interesting, I can't believe how long this has been going on. I found out that my girls have a reaction when we get the lawn treated. It's just a certain treatment that causes their feet to itch. Needless to say we aren't doing that anymore. I'll be interested to find out what the biopsy shows.


  7. #5
    patm's Avatar
    patm is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    SE Ohio
    Posts
    8,657

    Default

    Even though I said that a trip to the dermatologist might be in order, because I thought it sounded like you were getting frustrated with your vet, I would probably have the punch biopsy done by your regular vet and go from there.

  8. #6
    amazongold's Avatar
    amazongold is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    SE MI
    Posts
    23,457

    Default

    Cponnie, just a thought, but do they step in grass when you walk them - you know, other people's grass? Could it be a reaction to a lawn treatment in someone else's yard? It started earlier in summer, then now, just about when they would be fertilizing and doing weed control ... just a thought.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

  9. #7
    CJs Mom's Avatar
    CJs Mom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,990

    Default

    Good luck with this. I hope you can finally get some answers.
    Laura & CJ in New Hampshire


  10. #8
    YellowJakesMom's Avatar
    YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,276

    Default

    Glad you got to talk to the vet I hope the punch biopsy gives you all some good information

    Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

  11. #9
    AngusFangus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    12,586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amazongold View Post
    Cponnie, just a thought, but do they step in grass when you walk them - you know, other people's grass? Could it be a reaction to a lawn treatment in someone else's yard? It started earlier in summer, then now, just about when they would be fertilizing and doing weed control ... just a thought.
    Yes, that is just what I'm thinking it is. This was Mom's theory when I was talking to her last night, and I thought it was a good one. The last time it happened was in July, and now, almost exactly three months later. Quarterly. Hmm.

    I have been telling Kevin for a while to avoid yards that looked too manicured to be true, but I think he'll finally listen to me now that it's happened twice.

    Pat, thank you I was hoping you wouldn't feel disappointed that I went with punch biopsy. I do love my vet - he was super nice on the phone, talked to me forever, told me to ask for him when scheduling next Monday and he'd make sure to get it scheduled whenever I wanted to do it, said I could stay there and wait. He really is so accomodating, and he has spent a TON of time talking to me about this on the phone, today and earlier this summer too. I sometimes try other vets that are less expensive, but I'm afraid he has spoiled me rotten.

  12. #10
    MNLab's Avatar
    MNLab is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    2,546

    Default

    Connie,
    I sure hope this gives you some answers. I think you're doing the best thing you can for now. And I agree, maybe just flip a coin. Or, is one worse than the other? If so, maybe keep that one on the drugs, just so he's comfortable.
    Chantel and...

    Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07


Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Heartbreaking Decision re:amputation
    By tessaduncan in forum Lab Health and Nutrition
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-14-2009, 12:16 PM
  2. big decision - need input
    By tinymusic in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 02:36 PM
  3. Feet, feet and more feet. Post your pics
    By hark67 in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-22-2009, 02:05 PM
  4. Hard decision
    By kaznalf in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-12-2009, 09:08 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25