12 yr old Lab hip and knee problems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 yr old Lab hip and knee problems

beeker54 is offline Junior Member

Unhappy12 yr old Lab hip and knee problems

Hi, I have a 12 yr old lab that has developed hip and knee problems. Apparently she has hadd the conditions but did not show signs exzcept an occasional limp at times over the years. She has been a very athletic and well proportionede dog and still is. On the her showing some extreme pain with raising up from a laying position she was x-rayed and her R hip is extremely damaged from arthritis and she shows that she has had a past injury to her L knee. She now cannot rise without me slinging her with a sheet and helping her raise up. She is in extreme pain now and is on so many meds, has to use her front legs to raise and do steps. At times it is like her rear just collapses and she cannot use her L rear at all and foot will turn under. I know what is coming. Guess I just wanted to talk about it and hear from other owner of senior Labs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Sorry but if she is suffering I would seriously consider helping her on her way.

If she still has a reasonable quality of life then ignore that comment as I lost my Lab five years ago ( He was 13 1/2 ) due to spondylitis as he had completely lost the use of his back legs and his bowel movements.

Sorry too that you are going through this. It's always hard to let go.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I am sorry. If there is hope then hang onto that.

I understand how hard it is to see them like that.Only you know your dog, so can make the best judgement for her weighing up quality of life. Many times over the years we have thought this is it for Erns.

Vets told me when I adopted Ernie that he had serious H.D and joint issues and wouldn't be an old dog. He was 3.5. At 4.5 it was suggested a get a pup and let him go.

He is almost 10 and until a year or 2 ago he has been doing very well. His arthritis is much worse and he struggles to get up somedays. Somedays I think this maybe the week I have to say goodbye, but he comes right.

He has pentosan injections and along with regular excersise (even walks around the house to keep moving) and swimming it keeps him going. He also has a coat at night to keep his hips warm and a bed off the floor.

Good thoughts and hope your girl improves or the strenght to be able to make the best decision for you and your dog.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mirabella is offline Senior Member

I put Mira down when she could not get up due to the pain in her back legs. It is hard but it is what a kind and loving owner does - put the dog's comfort about our pain at their loss. Please consider that for your doggie.

Melissa is offline Senior Member

Our Otis had arthritis, hip dysplasia and degenerative myelopathy. We worked around it for a couple of years because he did not appear to be in much pain. He couldn't do stairs, but we helped him up and down the stairs he had to use in the house. He had problems getting up, so we helped him. He lost bladder and bowel control, so we put blankets underneath him and bought a carpet cleaner.

There came a point though where he could barely walk, where he would fall trying to walk around the backyard. Where instead of helping him stand up 1 time out of 3, it was 3 times out of 3. We were waiting for a clear sign from him that it was time, but I think he would have held on as long as we asked him to. We finally realized that he loooked more sad than happy and we realized we had to let him go, because he wasn't going to let us go.

Remember that they don't like to show pain, if she's showing you that she's in "extreme pain", I think you have to let her go. I'm so sorry. It's an awful choice to make, but remember they count on us to make the best decisions for them, to do what's right even when it's terrible.

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end. -- Unknown

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

September 3, I made the decision to let my Princee go and I have cried everyday since. I do, however, know that it was the right decision. I loved that dog as much as you could possibly love and I could not let her suffer any longer. Since her passing, I have looked at the pictures I took of her through the years, she was so beautiful and she had a fantastice smile and love n her eyes. The pictures I took of her on her last day just confirm that it was time. People told me I would know and I did, I saw in her eyes that it was time. You will know. You may already know and are just not facing it, that is what I did. But then one day I knew what I had to do for her. It was my final gift to her. You will make the right decision, trust yourself and your love for your pup. God bless you. (((hugs)))

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lilprincee View Post
    September 3, I made the decision to let my Princee go and I have cried everyday since. I do, however, know that it was the right decision. I loved that dog as much as you could possibly love and I could not let her suffer any longer. Since her passing, I have looked at the pictures I took of her through the years, she was so beautiful and she had a fantastice smile and love n her eyes. The pictures I took of her on her last day just confirm that it was time. People told me I would know and I did, I saw in her eyes that it was time. You will know. You may already know and are just not facing it, that is what I did. But then one day I knew what I had to do for her. It was my final gift to her. You will make the right decision, trust yourself and your love for your pup. God bless you. (((hugs)))
    Aw this post made me cry. For you, me and anyone else who has had to make that horrible decision.Loving dogs is just so darned hard some times, but the best thing in the world.
    Posting this must have bought tears for you.
    (((hugs)))))

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

beeker54 is offline Junior Member

Default12 yr old lab with hip and knee problems

Thank you all for your kind words and stories, Nestle was put down 10/10/2011 at 11 am, she took her last breath with me laying beside her telling her how much she was loved, she is now running free with my late husband, her ashes will be laid to rest next to his, her name is on our gravestone, between his name and mine........I will see her again...God Bless you all and your loving hearts.......Thank you again

Melissa is offline Senior Member

I'm so very sorry.

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end. -- Unknown

morla is offline Senior Member

Aw, im sorry. My uncles dogs, Reo and Beacca. Reo got old, and was skinnin bones and had to be put to sleep. Beacca has arthritus and had to be put to sleep. They now have Cleo, a good old yellow lab that's really fat. Oh, sorry, Reo was a black lab and Beacca was a german sheperd. They were alive before Simon was born. I love those dogs.
    SIMON

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast