Neuter/Spay question
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Neuter/Spay question

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeuter/Spay question

The contract I signed with my breeder required a few things from the breeder we go Maxx from. One of the requirements is to not neuter/ spay until 18 - 24 mos to insure the growth plates have closed. This requirement along with a few other things including the kind of food fed and using a recommended supplement. These things give me a lifetime guarantee against any genetic problems including hips, elbows, eyes, heart, EIC and a few other. Has anyone else had to wait this length of time to neuter? My vet agreed with the breeder and had no problem with ths requirement, he even looked over the contract during our 1st visit with Maxx.
    Any thoughts, disagreements, etc? I appreciate your answers, thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Waiting to spay/neuter until the dog is fully developed is the best idea.

As far as food and supplements guaranteeing freedom from any genetic defects - that's bullshit. Nothing guarantees against genetic defects. If the breeder wants to require certain food and supplements, fine, but if they put in writing that they are giving you a "lifetime guarantee against any genetic problems including hips, elbows, eyes, heart, EIC and a few other," they are nuts. Genetic defects are just that, defects in the genes somewhere that may or may not cause problems and they can occur in any dog, no matter what the breeding, care, feeding, etc. The parents can be perfect in all tests, and a pup still have problems.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

labby is offline Senior Member

Are these Nuvet supplements? The breeder gets a kickback from them. Quite frankly, supplementing a puppy is dangerous and supplementing a grown dog is unnecessary if the food is balanced, which any name-brand food is. As to the neutering, yes 18-24 months is the best time and one I require with my male puppies also.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Amazongold - it is not a guarantee that Maxx does not carry any defective genes, the guarantee is that should he develope an illness from any of the genetic things she tests for she gives the option to the owner to replace the dog, at my discretion. Many of the breeders I found offered this type of guarantee but only one that was life time. She has confidence in the 26 years she has spent testing and breeding. I am not sure why that would be considered a bad thing. Many breeders I found would guarantee 24 - 36 mos., if you can't even check hips/elbows until 24 mos of age, which is what I found, and you have to wait 2 mos for those results 24 mos seemed pointless.
    Labby - yes they are the Nuvet supplementts and I am aware the breeder gets a kick back. I had my vet take a look at them and he ok'd them. Could you give me some info on why they are dangerous, that scares me. Both dogs are eating Flint River Ranch Puppy/Adult kibble which is a good food. I absolutely refuse to give ANY thing to my dogs that could hurt them.

I am sorry, I forgot to ask if the males start marking indoors when they are neutered this late? Emma was spayed at 7 mos. So I don't have anything to worry about there and I would never allow him to get loose. Is there anything I can do to prevent any "marking" habits that may start? I appreciate the help.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    I am sorry, I forgot to ask if the males start marking indoors when they are neutered this late? Emma was spayed at 7 mos. So I don't have anything to worry about there and I would never allow him to get loose. Is there anything I can do to prevent any "marking" habits that may start? I appreciate the help.
    marking is a training issue. no dog, neutered or not, should mark in the house - if they start then you need to train them to stop. I wouldn't be paranoid about the dog starting to mark - I have an foster right now that is intact and he has had no accidents and not marked. I am sure the breeders on the board don't have any issues with their dogs marking either

for the record - neutered dogs mark as well - so neutering doesn't "eliminate" the potential for a dog that marks.

ETA: I agree with waiting to neuter a dog for as long as you can - it's good to let them grow up before the big snip!
    Last edited by Tanya; 10-09-2011 at 04:56 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I don't understand any guarantees where the only option is to exchange the dog (i.e. no question of reimbursement to the cost of the purchase price, just straight out dog exchange)? really, how many people would "exchange" their dog even if an issue did develop.

Personally I don't believe any healthy dog (with no health issue) should need supplements ever. Seems like a waste of money. If the dog food is good and has been qualified to have all the necessary nutrients a dog needs, why add anything? I'd put the money aside for an emergency - it isn't like you would really exchange the dog if anything DID happen anyway right?
    Last edited by Tanya; 10-09-2011 at 04:38 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Agree with Tanya... marking is a training issue, not an intact male issue. I have a 3 year old intact male and he has never marked indoors. Neither has my 8.5 year old neutered male.

As far as other behavioural issues attributed with neutering/not neutering, my intact male is much more mellow and less humpy than my neutered male. We joke that if/when Ollie is neutered, we're going to have to prop his head up for him to eat, he's that laid back already. I attribute that to his excellent breeding and temperament.

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

The breeder requires a supplement? That's kind of weird. Also strange requiring a certain food. It sounds like they truly believe in these things and want the best for the dogs, according to their beliefs. I agree with the later spay/neuter. But the replacement at your discretion? I can't imagine replacing my doggie because he's defective. But I only want a pet, not a working dog, if that makes a difference.
    Until I started reading dog forums, I'd never heard of dogs marking in the house, so I guess it's a matter of training. If they're marking in your house, there's probably other discipline problems!

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    Could you give me some info on why they are dangerous, that scares me.
    Supplements can throw off the balance of a food. With a puppy, you need a balanced diet to make sure they grow evenly.

If you do not allow a male to lift it's leg in the house, it won't. I've had 2 intact males in my house with females in season and neither have ever lifted their leg in the house.

Laura

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast