Oops! I did it again!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oops! I did it again!!

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

DefaultOops! I did it again!!

Okay, no, not that. Please do not bring up that in this thread. I think we all know what that I am referring to. I think we have all had enough of that!!

I left at 6:30am for work this morning. When I opened the door at 7:30pm, I was greeted by a handsome, smiling, tail wagging black lab who was mysteriously OUT of his crate!!!! Oh, the panic! I raced around looking for chewed up anything & potty spots.... not a thing!! He was so happy & excited, it was just way too adorable.

Diesel hasn't had out of crate privileges for more than 4 hours after the last pillow de-stuffing. I don't feel comfortable doing this every time I work, still figuring out who to get to help out for potty breaks when I work, but perhaps once in awhile.... maybe.... he can be trusted when I work.

WTG D-man!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

That's a really REALLY long time for him to be crated. I'm glad he performed so well for you. Lots of outdoor play when you got home, right?

Seamus and Flynn

Quote Originally Posted by Paddysmom View Post
    That's a really REALLY long time for him to be crated. I'm glad he performed so well for you. Lots of outdoor play when you got home, right?
    It is a long time to be crated, I am glad when I bought his crate when he was 10wks old with huge paws I anticipated a 100lb Lab (he's only 65lbs & probably maxed out) so I bought a HUGE one... granted, still a long time to be cooped up.

We went for our usual long walk & since it is dark when I get home & still having landlord issues so no outdoor lighting in the yard, we now play in the basement after dark. It's empty so it's like a huge indoor playground which he absolutely loves!! He got a treat of sardines with his supper & is laying contently on the couch beside me snoring away!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

That is an incredibly long time to have a dog stuck in a crate......no matter how big the crate is. I hope you find a solution soon for Diesel's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Of The Hill View Post
    That is an incredibly long time to have a dog stuck in a crate......no matter how big the crate is. I hope you find a solution soon for Diesel's sake.
    Oh totally, I agree. When my aunt & uncle were able to help out it was great, now that isn't working out so he's been cooped up more than I would like. Unfortunately, for Diesel he doesn't always behave himself when he's not crated. He's ruined enough stuff that it doesn't really phase me if he were to ruin something, it's more so what he ingests that concerns me! There's no such thing as completely dog proofing for a dog intent on chewing things other than his toys when I'm not here to police!

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    Oh totally, I agree. When my aunt & uncle were able to help out it was great, now that isn't working out so he's been cooped up more than I would like. Unfortunately, for Diesel he doesn't always behave himself when he's not crated. He's ruined enough stuff that it doesn't really phase me if he were to ruin something, it's more so what he ingests that concerns me! There's no such thing as completely dog proofing for a dog intent on chewing things other than his toys when I'm not here to police!
    Yes, having him ingest something he shouldn't certainly wouldn't be good, but maybe you can find another solution that doesn't involve so many hours crated. Perhaps you can find someone trustworthy and reliable to come in and give him a good break from being crated. I can't imagine how worrying it must be for you to have to leave him stuck in a crate for 13 hours......and how horribly monotonous it must be for him. Even if he was okay to be left loose, 13 hours is a very long time to be left alone......and certainly too long not to have the opportunity to relieve himself.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

So far, we have left Sophie out and about for 2 hours. She has done well so far. The times we left her we came home to find her sleeping on the couch. If we are gone longer, we get a sitter. She is a well loved pooch and I seem to never have a shortage of sitters. YAY!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

I so wish I lived close to you, I'd love to take Diesel out. I sure hope you find a solution soon.

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Have you looked at dog walker adds for your area? Or if you know and like your neighbors, could something be worked out?
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Maybe if you post an add for a dog walker wanted, you will find someone reliable. Mine always had the run of the house, and never got into trouble. I always left many, many toys to keep them busy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast