Help asap please!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help asap please!

ScorpianAbarth is offline Senior Member

DefaultHelp asap please!

Sorry to sound dramatic but it's 11:08pm here and if I need to get to the E vet, the sooner the better. Zack had an infection in his eye a couple of weeks ago, had drops, been fine for this week. He went out in the garden for 2 minutes earlier and came back in looking a bit more tired than usual. It's now 2 hours later, his eye looks red and he's squinting. I've bathed it with warm water twice and it seemed better straight after but it's reverted back to red/squinty each time

I've never had this with a dog before (thankfully!) - should I call the vet now or wait? As it's to do with his eyes, I'm more cautious

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Settle... settle. Those eye irritations are SCARY! You've done well to flush it with warm water.
    Eyes do heal quickly... amazing with all that moisture that surrounds the orb. If there is swelling, try some ice above the eye (on the lid, brow area). I've experienced this with Flynn and Rusty and within 48 hours the eye(s) were okay. Just some irritant

If there's still seepage or swelling after trying these things, yes, see your vet.

Seamus and Flynn

Thanks for your reply...and sensing my hysteria! (I'm sure I'll be able to chill out and laugh about it later!). It's ridiculous, after 8 dogs my poor Zack seems to have infection and infection/minor injury!

No swelling, just very red. Logically I'm thinking that he probably just got something in it as it helps when I've bathed it with water, but then I jump to crazy worrying and made the mistake of googling 'my dog is squinting' and it came up with all sorts of horror stories! He's had bits of dust in his eye before and it's gone a little red but never like this. Also, his third eyelid was covering his eye slightly

How long do you think I should wait (with bathing it) to see if it settles? At the moment I'm outwardly not panicking - I've put my boy to bed so he can rest it while I decided what to do.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It's midday here now and he's just woke up. Initially his eyes looked okay, but there is a little greeny goo and squinting on/off in both eyes now. He paws at them occassionally until I cover his eye and tell him to stop. Does it sound like bathing them both with warm water today and making an appt at the vet asap tomorrow would be soon enough?

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a good plan here - sorry so late in response. Green sounds like his eye is trying to work the irritant out - and keeping it clean (wipe with damp cotton balls) will help!

Thanks. I didn't take him out for a walk today as we've had wind speeds of 20-25mph and didn't want to irritate his eyes even more. I did take him for a spin in the car to get him out of the house and we stopped at a pet store than has a weekend vet but they wouldn't see us as we didn't have an appointment (won't be going back there!).

It's probably worked out for the best, though. Zack's had a few bad experiences with vets (one silly woman was afraid of him 'because he's big'...this is a qualified vet. This was for his first booster jab and the appt ended with her screwing up and breaking the needle on his back, him being so scared that he jumped into my arms, me catching him and ending up on the floor!) and the one we've had since February he LOVES and we should be able to see him tomorrow

I've calmed down considerably lol it was just the sudden and very angry looking reaction that had me panicked last night

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

You said your dog had gone into the garden before this happened. Is there anything he could have gotten into? Did you use fertilizer or weed killer etc? It's good that you flushed the eye well. Do you have any of the drops you had for his last infection left?
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Nope, nothing changed circumstance wise - don't use anything in the garden, never have with dogs around. As I said, I'm an experienced dog owner, I just thankfully haven't had this problem with any of the others! I do have eye drops left, but until the vet diagnoses whats wrong, you shouldn't mess/assume it's the same thing, not when it comes to eyes especially

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Greenish goo is a sign of infection. Try a boric acid solution
    until you can get hm to the vet
    Hope it helps
    We used to do this w/our dachshunds

How to Use Boric Acid to Treat a Dog's Infected Eye | eHow.com
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Thanks! His eyes *touch wood* are actually looking a bit better, but I'll take him to get checked out anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast