Boomer and I are going crazy... (enormous pity party vent enclosed)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boomer and I are going crazy... (enormous pity party vent enclosed)

DefaultBoomer and I are going crazy... (enormous pity party vent enclosed)

Last week, while unsupervised in the backyard for less than 15 minutes, Boomer ripped open his right front paw (skin area in between the pad). He was digging (I know, normal) and apparently there was a HUGE nail--almost like a railroad spike in the ground and he found it. So, he tore open an artery and had to have surgery, $1100 later. He has been unable to go on a walk or exercise at all for a week now. God help us. He is relentless at getting to his stitches; we have tried everything under the sun (including a muzzle) and finally with some duct tape, a plastic placemat and his e-collar I've managed to keep his incision clean and dry. His behavior is positively horrible. I know he's bored and frustrated. I know... But now he won't go to the bathroom outside, he just wants to try to run away, and I'm standing out there like an idiot for 20 minutes at 6am!! I think he knows as soon as he pees, he comes back inside so he has decided to prolong that. I don't know how we'll survive another week together; I am so fed up and so is he. He is only one of a handful of "events" we have at our house right now and I'm ready to just lose it. My anger and frustration are surely not helping the situation so thanks for letting me vent. He and I were making so much progress with training, behavior and bonding and now I feel so defeated like we are back at square one. No need to respond. I just needed to get this out... I hope to God he's able to get his stitches out on Monday. 5 days. 5 more days...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Awwww poor Boomer! Healing thoughts for him. Hope the next 5 days will go fast for you.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Poor Boomer and you. Hope he heals up fast and the days go quickly.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

allthatjazz is offline Senior Member

Hope the next 5 days go quickly and Boomer is on the mend!
    May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am

Terri and Jazzy

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

OUCH!!! best of luck to him AND you!

Jenica is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts for both of you. Maybe giving him great treats for doing his business outside will help speed things up?

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

PITA isn't it! You may not be able to take him for walks, but good mental stimulation will help his boredom. Work on training in the house, sits, stays, comes, healing, hide n seek, etc. Hope he feels better soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunders Mom View Post
    PITA isn't it! You may not be able to take him for walks, but good mental stimulation will help his boredom. Work on training in the house, sits, stays, comes, healing, hide n seek, etc. Hope he feels better soon!
    PITA for sure! You are absolutely right. I've totally failed in this area the past week. Sooo overwhelmed with everything. One of our cats was diagnosed with kidney disease this week as well, in addition to his IBD. It seems as though all the furry creatures in our house had a meeting and decided this was the week to get Mom & Dad into the mental hospital (and poor house!). Baby is napping so Boomer and I will do some in house training... wish him luck And thank you.

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

This too shall pass...I have that written on my dry erase board. You have to keep telling yourself that!
    Katie adopted by koko

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh my gosh! That is just scary. I don't know if you remember a while back I posted pictures of Simon's "Hidey Hole" under our deck...? Well, not long before I posted those pictures one day he was in there and wouldn't come out, so I decided to stick my head in to see if I could dislodge him. Lo and behold, there was a HUGE nail sticking out into the space, at about his eye level.

Man, I feel for ya. I've had to rehab Angus after a couple of surgeries and that is most definitely not fun, especially when he was younger. Five more days, five more days...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast