Getting weight off a lab
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting weight off a lab

Tucker is offline Senior Member

DefaultGetting weight off a lab

Tucker is 9 and overweight...the past 2 years, he has packed on pounds and I am sure it is my fault...last year, I was a mess and personally gained weight, but worse - Tucker packed on about 10 pounds...he has always been a bigger lab - he is a bench lab, so naturally a bit stockier and up until last year, the weight has never been an issue...last Christmas, I put him on the scale and he weighed in at 92...today, I put him on the scale and he weighed in at 95...I feel HORRIBLE

I got a new measuring cup (I was using a scoop and think I was WAY over generous with good intentions, but horrible results!)...I am now giving him between 3/4 and a cup of dry food twice a day...no treats (he likes ice and thinks it is a "treat") and a third of a piece of cheese a day for his pills ...I recently switched him to weight watchers cheese ...

He doesn't really like to walk...he likes to lay in the grass and people watch...I am not crazy about the dog park - he always gets humped...and he won't fetch...I was thinking about taking him to the dog park when I know nobody else will be there and hope he just wants to walk around and sniff, although, I think he will find a spot and just lay down, eat grass or poop

ANY suggestions for how you got your dogs to drop weight?

Also - I feed him Natural Balance Duck and Potato for allergies; however, I am thinking about switching back to Royal Canin as I don't think Natural Balance is so great anymore...thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I just cut Blaise back as he had gotten to 90# and was headed towards looking like a keg on legs. He's eating about 1/2 of what I feed Captain Metabolism - about 3/4 of a cup 2x a day. A few weeks of that and he has a waistline back. He does play with Diesel a LOT - lots of running and bitey face.

Can you get Tucker with another dog a few days a week for some roughhousing? He may also like being more active when he is thinner.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

I literally laughed out loud at the "keg on legs" comment! THAT is Tucker!! LOL ...I was thinking he might want to be more active if he was thinner - I also just took him to get his nails clipped...I thought maybe they were too long and that was why he didn't want to walk...nope!

I met a guy a month or so ago with a lab and we see each other once or twice and always bring the dogs, but honestly, the dogs sniff, play for 10 minutes, then lay down next to each other...it is actually kind of cute (they are around the same age...both males)...Tucker also has a girlfriend (another black lab) that lives in the neighborhood, and they used to play all the time, but now they are like an old married couple...maybe Tucker needs some "new" friends...maybe I will reconsider the dog park

How much weight did you get off Blaise and how long did it take?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I have not had him back to the vet, but I am going to guess maybe 3-4 # over about 3-4 weeks. But I cut his calorie intake WAY back during that time. He was really eating much too much. He did fine - no bile puking. He probably could lose another 3-4 lbs. He is a very bulky dog - but he had actually gotten to the point where he had a little pot belly! LOL!

I had a friend with an older Lab who was truly obese who got it all off of him with a lot of exercise - and she had to make him move initially. As he slimmed down he started fetching as moving became easier. How old is Tucker? Are his joints OK? (ah - nevermind - I see he is 9) I would make sure his joints are not hurting. Do you have him on any supplements?
    Last edited by BigBrownDog; 09-30-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

While none of my dogs have been overweight, I have a suggestion. I feed my dogs "semi-raw". It is a dehydrated mix to which you add raw ground beef (or whatever, chicken etc....). The expense is very close to a premium kibble, if not less if you get good bargains on raw meat (less than 1.00/pound).

VERY LITERALLY, I can feed Hoss and Kodi (now adjusting because she is preggers) so much in a feeding that it looks like tney will burst! They are very fit, you can see several ribs and their coat glows. Going raw or semi raw allows an increase in the amount of food, weight loss and a general toning up that is spectacular.

The dehydrated versions (Honest Kitchen, Volhards and Gtandma Lucy's for example...depends on where you are), are very good, and really pretty close to what a good kibble would cost.
    Last edited by Belles mom; 09-30-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Tucker is on Deramaxx for arthritis...he still lays like a frog, but he hasn't been jumping on the bed recently, nor is he on the couch as much...

While I appreciate the raw idea, it isn't a route I want to take for a few reasons, but thank you for the suggestion!

I am going to try to increase our walks by one block at a time...I will see how he does...also, maybe venture out on one field trip each weekend as long as the weather permits.

If there is a place he can swim (like a canine hydrotherapy pool) that would be great exercise and really easy on his joints. No idea where to find one of those.

greg is offline Senior Member

Jack was begining to kegout and he's not a bench lab,I mostly just cut back on his kibble and one treat a day.He wont chase after a ball for long ,but he's crazy about chasing after frizbees so that helped out big time.If you don't care to go to the park maybe the local school may have a track.

rookyduckling is offline Senior Member

we started giving ours 1/2 kibble(chicken soup) and 1/2 frozen green beans( we just run them under hot water to take the chill off(we keep them in the fridge so not frozen) and instead of treats give them baby carrots.. my biggest has lost 14 pounds in 6 months but all of them have gotten in really good shape... (this was all on the advice of the vet)

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    Tucker is on Deramaxx for arthritis...he still lays like a frog, but he hasn't been jumping on the bed recently, nor is he on the couch as much...

While I appreciate the raw idea, it isn't a route I want to take for a few reasons, but thank you for the suggestion!

I am going to try to increase our walks by one block at a time...I will see how he does...also, maybe venture out on one field trip each weekend as long as the weather permits.
    Deramaxx is for pain right? It's an NSAID. You should probably put him on glucosamine/chondroitin. This may help improve his comfort over the course of several weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast