They don't miss much

Thread: They don't miss much

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultThey don't miss much

All I need to do is put a letter in an envelop and put on a stamp, or make out a check for utility bills, and all three jump up from what seemed like a sound sleep, excited and ready for a car ride to the bank and/or Post Office. How do they know??? Do they pick up such subtle things or is it ESP?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

fanny&eddiesmom is offline Senior Member

Habit...... radar......... osmosis

SU started takign Eddie with him to 711 every Saturday morning. Now, every Saturday morning SU puts his shoes on and Eddie stands at the door waiting for him.

Last Saturday, SU couldn't take him and closed the door on him, Eddie let this groan out - WTF? - and ran upstairs to see what car he left in! Then Eddie came downstairs because he heard me with the keys and he got to go to the park instead...

georgie is offline Senior Member

I think dogs are alot smarter than we give them credit for. When I am dressed for work, neither Abby or Kate gets off the couch. But when I have jeans on & I get a green tote that I use for training, (has whistles, duck calls etc.) they come running & sit in the kitchen waiting to get their collars on. Maybe it also is an association thing, about what we do & they know the routine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

With my previous dog 'Rocky' my normal routine was to watch the news and a tv show or two until his walk time which was usually around 7-7:30 pm. My tv makes a tone when you turn it on or off. The last few years of his life any time I turned the tv off, even if he was sound asleep he would jump up and be ready for a walk.

deidra is offline Senior Member

I agree with Gergie. i isam going shopping or something they know we aren't taking them. if I am in shorts or loose jeans they get ready.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

Bean's getting earlier and earlier with entering his crate before I leave for work. It used to be when I made an iced coffee, but now it seems that the ending of a TV show cues him. He just gets up and sits in the crate, waiting for a few pieces of kibble.

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

I think they are much smarter than most people think. Dee picks out phrases and words from sentences. If I use the phrase "do you want" for anything she immediately thinks I'm asking her if she wants a biscuit or whatever. We used to spell the word "walk" to keep her from getting prematurely excited, but she knows how to spell it now. LOL She knows days ahead of time when we're taking a trip even though I avoid bring out luggage or anything trip related until the night before. The only thing we've been able to come up with is that we are giving off "feeling bad for putting her in the kennel vibes." Our last Lab always knew when we were taking her to the Vet. Unlike Dee, she hated going. She loved the car, but no way if it was a trip to the Vet. No idea how she knew, but she without fail did....every time.