Dilemma

Thread: Dilemma

superwy is offline Member

DefaultDilemma

So, I had Wyatt at this place I have recently discovered that people bring their dogs to walk. It is a huge field that is fully fenced and people walk around the outside while their dogs play in the middle. Great fun. Well, two of the folks there had yellow labs. Nice boys overall (besides humping my poor guy). They both got the dogs from the first breeder where I got my guy, Jake, who died four years ago at age 9 from cancer. Well, this place is a BYB. They have lots of dogs, never show, and just breed. While Jake was a wonderful dog, I have a friend who also got a dog from them who has had hip problems her whole life. One of the women was talking about getting a second dog from the same place. Now, since my lovely Jake came from there I know that good dogs can result, but I am also opposed to supporting BYB's as a whole. I gently said that we loved Jake but found what we considered a better breeder and offered to give her some names, but saw a bit of offense taken, so I didn't want to push. Any thoughts here? I think I'll be seeing these folks a lot as I hope to go there to walk Wyatt more often. Keep my mouth shut...that is my instinct. What do you think?

On another note, should I not take Wyatt here when the new puppy comes home? I wondered if it was too risky to have him potentially carry anything home.
    Kim

Wyatt & Echo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

If you get the chance, you could tell her about the friend whose dog from there had hip problems, and warn her to be sure her new puppy has all clearances.
    I would worry too that Wyatt may carry something home that would be harmful to the puppy, but why not ask the vet about it.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom View Post
    If you get the chance, you could tell her about the friend whose dog from there had hip problems, and warn her to be sure her new puppy has all clearances.
    I would worry too that Wyatt may carry something home that would be harmful to the puppy, but why not ask the vet about it.
    The parents of the puppy would need clearances and there should be verifiable proof of that.

Personally I would steer clear of dog parks until your puppy is fully immunized since you can track parvo home.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Maybe instead of saying what is "bad" about the first breeder (byb) just go over why you picked the second breeder for your puppy? at the end of the day it is a touchy subject and you have to tread careful - some people will chose to ignore information no matter how you say it.

I would stay clear of the dog park for at least a little bit - maybe talk it over with the breeder and your vet.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I would be pretty mortified if someone else told me they considered my dogs' breeder(s) to be bad or unethical. It would probably make me reconsider my choice, or at least do a bit more homework about them before purchasing from them again in the future. Can you take a printed list of things to look for when considering purchasing a labrador puppy with you the next time that you can give them for review and consideration? LRCSC has a good one: Labrador Puppy Checklist

In my opinion, education is a good thing. It can help protect our beloved breed.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

I really hope the woman will reconsider her choice now and go with a better breeder!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/