Slip Collar :(

Thread: Slip Collar :(

Scout08 is offline Senior Member

DefaultSlip Collar :(

I just tried a slip collar on Chuck for the first time, she seemed like she was genuinely afraid of it right when it started to slip. I only had her on it for about 2 minutes before I took her back inside and when I did so, she didn't even get excited about a treat that I gave her. I didn't even pull the leash or anything. Does it just need more time, or is this abnormal and potentially dangerous?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I personally don't use them, but here is a link you might find helpful. Dog training collar- how to put on, fit, and use dog training choke collars
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Tanya is offline Senior Member

depends on the dog - maybe she is just skittish or maybe she had a bad experience. Did you just slip in alone or was the leash on? I would nonchalantly put it on her (no leash) and go about my business and she how it goes.

I'll be honest and say I don't like the slip collar but for personal reasons - I honestly CANNOT give the proper correction using them EVEN after taking a class with a teacher (who OBLIGATED all students to use them - this was before I know a lot about dogs so I never questioned that). I am not sure if it is just my height or what I just cannot for the life of me use them properly so I avoid them.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Scout08 is offline Senior Member

Well, I tried again earlier today. I gave her a treat as I was putting it on and then I gave her a few treats on the walk (We kept it short). I didn't have to do any checks, she just didn't want the leash to close and she didn't pull. It was actually a big surprise that she caught on so quick. I took her on another walk a few minutes ago and she walked right by me for most of the walk. I made her sit periodically and I gave her treats. She seems to be ok with it now. It will be interesting to see how it goes when she sees something that excites her.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

I can't imagine a dog afraid of a slip collar. I used the English style kennel leads on all my dogs and that's basically a slip with a really LONG end.

Maybe you don't like them and the dog is picking up on your angst.

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Give it time. They rattle and make noise, and it spooks some dogs. Mine will pick up a "choke chain" and bring it to me on the off chance I might say "OK! We will go train!" Jedi Dogg Mind Trick.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg