Do you pay for grooming or do you groom your dog?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you pay for grooming or do you groom your dog?

LuvRgirl is offline Senior Member

DefaultDo you pay for grooming or do you groom your dog?

We took Bella for her first grooming on Sat. They said it would cost $25 to bathe, empty her glands, do her nails, dry her and give her a bow. We thought wow that is great, and they told us it would take 1 &1/2 hours to do it.
    So about 3 hours later, we picked her up and she came out without her nails clipped, no bow and they just finished drying her.
    I think we will groom her ourselves from now on. We use Pedipaws on her, and she does great with it. We have bathed her twice already, and she sits so sweetly in the tub for us and I think she enjoys when she is bathed, we pamper her afterwards as she loves being towel dried and massaged.
    We sure didn't appreciate paying for grooming when they didn't even do all that they said they would!
    Sweet Bella Mia at Zion National Park.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Felix is offline Senior Member

Labradors dont need grooming

mommacomet is offline Senior Member

I had bathed/groomed Katie up until Friday. I called the groomer we used to use for our Golden and they got her in for me. I wasn't sure how she would do and this was going to be a real test of the work we have been doing with her here at home. She did WONDERFUL!!! They brushed her all out really well working on getting rid of all that loose hair/undercoat, bathed/dried her, cleaned her ears and anal glands, cut her toe nails and put a pretty little bow on her collar and it was $20. It was awesome and she was such a good girl. There were no other dogs in the front when we came in and she was excited but did really well with the sit command and went with the lady no problem. When I came back to get her about 3 hours later they said she was a real sweetie and didn't give them any problems what so ever. There was a little dog that came out at the same time and she did a little sniff and then ignored her..woohoo!!! They did a wonderful job and I will be taking her there from now on. I hate giving her a bath because although she very easy by the time we are done not only is she wet but so am I, the floor (which has carpet..yuck) and I spend another hour cleaning the bathroom and finding all the spots she has hit while wet (normally my side of the bed!!) The only issues we had were when we first got there she didn't like the man walking by the car and on the way home I think she saw her first cows and had a royal fit! LOL (Katie was raised in the city).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well, right now, I just have my two cocker spaniels, so yes they both go to the groomer about every 8 weeks (bath, blow dry, trim, ears cleaned, nails trimmed, the works!). When my new chocolate lab baby comes home in a few weeks I will probably take her to the groomer with my cockers mostly as socialization, but she'll get her nails trimmed and ears cleaned, too. Every 2nd or 3rd time I will probably have my groomer bath her and brush her out. I am so excited and can hardly wait until she comes home - goin to visit for the first time this weekend!

AReims is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure if it's good bathe her that often either. Labs don't generally need baths unless they are really dirty. Too much bathing will affect their coat, its oil. I've never given Martta a real bath with shampoo in her life and she's a little over 2yrs, I've mostly just rinsed the sand and dirt off. At least that's how its been with my labs and so I have been told. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Felix is offline Senior Member

Normaly, brushing a Labrador a few times in a week is more then enough, we never have put one of our Labradors in a bath or bring them to the groomer. And when they are full of dirt, we just let them swim in clean water outside in a pond or some thing like that

And yes, bathing a Labrador to often, will affect their coat

patm is offline Senior Member

You're talking labradors - right? I could never see the point of taking them to a groomers. I barely brush mine, and if they get dirty, I rinse them off with the hose (shower head on it - they actually stand still and let me rinse them all over). I do probably bathe them about 3 times a year, usually if they have gotten into something really nasty, or if they've gotten "skunked". We trim the nails ourselves and we've never had to express anal glands. I clean their ears about once a week (they swim alot) If I had a breed that really needed more grooming, trimming, etc, I might consider a groomer, but would probably learn how to do it myself. And what the others have mentioned - not too much actual bathing for a lab - it drys their coats out and could make them itchy. If they stink - look for the reason and treat that.

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Dozer gets petted. That's enough grooming for him. *lol*

We do his nails, but if he is at the vet at the time of needing his nails done we have them do it. I clean his ears 3-4 times a week (as per the vet's instructions because of the ear infection he had).
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Baloo goes swimming in the spring/summer/fall and rolls in snow in the winter. Voila! Labrador bath.

I clean ears (only when needed), do nails (weekly) and leave his anal glands alone. Most dogs shouldn't have those glands emptied regularly, there's supposed to be some fluid in there for normal function. A dog eating a good diet and all that will take care of expressing the extra on their own.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

The groomer was going to put a BOW on her??? How undignifiied!

Labs don't need baths. It screws up their coat. The smelliest Labs I have known are the ones where the owner bathes them often.

And the anal glands thing. I only had one dog in 40 years of owning dogs who needed help with that. It is not an aspect of normal maintenance.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast