Jack got attacked by the neighbour's dogs. (he's okay.)

Thread: Jack got attacked by the neighbour's dogs. (he's okay.)

honeybadger is offline Senior Member

DefaultJack got attacked by the neighbour's dogs. (he's okay.)

We were walking down my driveway when I saw the first dog. I see it around a lot. It's a small black pitbull-type dog (I'm terrible at recognizing kinds of dogs but it looks like a small pitbull-type thing.) This dog scares me, but is usually also scared of me and runs away. It came right up to Jack and sniffed him, but didn't seem friendly. I made "psssht" noises, which have worked on it in the past, but then another dog, same type, comes running at us, barking, and launches onto Jack. Thankfully these were very small dogs, not tiny but I easily kicked away the quieter one (not a hard kick) off of him but the other one was nipping Jack. I think it nipped his ear. He yelped.

They were snarling and I couldn't get away from them and was freaking out. Finally the neighbours came out. They didn't seem very concerned. They were more concerned than I thought they'd have been, though. They're kind of youngish guys, have loud parties. (When I say youngish, I mean like 30. I'm 20.) I am rambling. They checked Jack over and he thought he was getting a tummy rub.

I didn't know what to do. Should they get in trouble for this? Jack wasn't hurt? I think the dog that actually jumped on him was just visiting. (Note: Pitbulls aren't banned here.)

Jack is fine, but I finished the walk there on the driveway and now I'm too scared to take us outside again. I'm glad he's big and his thick coat seemed to stop them doing any damage.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

I would definitely report it to your dog warden so that the neighbours get a warning about keeping their dogs under control.

( Glad he's OK BTW )
    Last edited by Samson; 09-26-2011 at 05:34 AM.

georgie is offline Senior Member

That had to be scary. You should not be afraid to go out of your house. I think I would tell the neighbors to keep their dogs under control or you will be reporting them. That will give them the chance to control their dogs, but if they are out again....they will be reported. It is hard to have neighbors who let their dogs run free.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

NM Lab Lover is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry. I am glad Jack is alright but you should not be afraid to leave your house for a walk. I do not know the laws in NZ but where we live you are required to have your dog on a leash and under control in the city limits. I would check out what the law says for your area and politely let the "young men" know. At the very least they need to have control of their dogs.
    Love JL. Justlabradors.com!!!

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Remember Jack depends on you to keep him safe. Carry pepper spray, a stick, or whatever it takes to keep the neighborhood hoodlums away from him.