Sophie's vet visit today

Thread: Sophie's vet visit today

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

DefaultSophie's vet visit today

We had Sophie back to the vet today. She was 5 months on the 13th, and weighs 51lbs now. She was there on the 6th and her left ear was infected. Her skin was having problems. She got over the left ear and now has her right one infected. Her skin is worse that it was on the 6th. Her coat is thinning, and I can she rashiness on her inner thighs and tummy. The vet put her on Cefalaxin and more ear ointment. He still doesn't want to use prednisone due to her age. He suggested a food change. She was on lamb and rice. Now she will get TOTW Pacific Stream. He wants her on a food with ingredients she has not had before, and non-grain. He said she is to have nothing elso for 6 weeks, then see how she is doing. He said allergic puppies often out grow the allergies, but sometimes they worsen with age. I pray this won't be the case. The inflamed ears along with the rashy skin and thinning coat all indicate allergy. The checker at the co-op where we bought the food said she put her dog on the same food 2 months ago, and he's like a new dog! She said not only is his coat recovering, he has more energy and just seems to feel better. Sophie is picky about her food, but seems to like it. We got some of the canned to match for treats. Sigh....it's so hard to know what to do for allergic dogs!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I may be mistaken, but I thought TOTW Pacific Stream was the only TOTW formula that was NOT recommended for puppies because of the calcium/phosphorous ratio.
    Poor Sophie...I hope things clear up and she feels better soon.

I don't know about this. The vet didn't say. Where can I look this up?
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I checked their website. The food is recommended for all life stages. Here is the calcium/phos ration: Calcium: 1.9%, as-fed; Phosphorus: 1.1%, as-fed
    I read on several vet sites, pet md etc and they all indicated it was recommended. Most give it 5 stars. Do you know what the calcium/phos ratio is supposed to be?
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I thought the ratio is supposed to be 1:1. Tou might want to change the protein source and see if that makes a difference.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Ca:P ratio should be 1.2: 1.0. My lines do much better on lower LEVELS than that (still in the correct ratio, however), but I use Euk LBP which is probably not a good choice for you right now if there are allergies.

I'd recommend a very good probiotic as well. Antibiotics kill off all the good stuff, so I wonder if you're not getting a yeast infection setting in too????
    Take a look at this site (see the success stories and articles): BacPak Plus - Probiotic and Digestive Enzyme Blend | NZMES.COM - NZYMES.COM - a Division of Biopet Inc.

I've been using Bacpak here for years. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Anne...wouldn't yogurt work as probiotic? Its so hard to know what to do with these allergic dogs. She's already been to the vet twice this month. He just wanted her on a diet that didn't have anything in it that she has previously eaten. Pacific Stream fit the bill. Wants her on it for 6 weeks and go from there. She seemed to get worse while on lamb and rice.
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    Anne...wouldn't yogurt work as probiotic? Its so hard to know what to do with these allergic dogs. She's already been to the vet twice this month. He just wanted her on a diet that didn't have anything in it that she has previously eaten. Pacific Stream fit the bill. Wants her on it for 6 weeks and go from there. She seemed to get worse while on lamb and rice.
    Not well at all in dogs. The probios such as the one I linked have multiple sources of highly concentrated active "bugs"--- much much more effective in dogs w/ such short digestive systems. And besides, how do you know she can handle dairy? Not only that, w/ yogurt you are adding even MORE calcium to her already too high of diet...

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Thanks Anne! I am checking it out now.
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.