Dog mildewed?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog mildewed?

2bcruzn is offline Junior Member

DefaultDog mildewed?

Okay, I need some help. My working canine has mildewed while in the misters this summer and I don't have a clue how to get it out. I've used the oatmeal dog shampoo, regular dog shampoo, dish washing detergent, took him to the groomer to no avail. This has been going on for several months now and I've got to go back to work but can't due to the stink. I've had him to the vet as well so that they could check him out and check his ears but they found nothing and they offered no suggestions. What do y'all think? Help... I worked Tuesday and the kids were complaining of him smelling like wet socks. The hotter he got the more he smelled. ugh...... Gotta to work tomorrow so I gotta come up with something. Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I don't think that dogs get mildew. You can, with excessive washing ruin a dog's coat, (stripping the natural oils). Is his skin normal looking? Does he have a hot spot (that's what this sounds like to me). What kind of work does he do? What do you mean "in the misters"
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

No hot spot, coat is beautiful, thick, and shiny, vet commented on how shiny he always is. No skin rash or allergy at least that is what the vet said. He is a drug dog. I teach drug education to school kids. We place misters (very light sprinkler system) on their run during the summer when it gets extremely hot, but bring them inside during the hottest hours of the day. He usually gets a bath about every two weeks due to the amount of oil added to his coat by hundreds of kids touching and loving on him. But this odor is horrible and does smell like wet socks or old tennis shoes. : (

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

When Ralphie had a yeast infection he had an odor. I would check under his collar, in his ears, anywhere he has skin folds. Do you mean he was wet all summer?

No not continuously. He comes inside so he is dried when he comes in but I'm thinking maybe he didn't get totally dry one time and soured or something. I don't know... I'm at a loss. Usually when I take him to the groomer he comes home and is wonderful but she couldn't get whatever this is out and she checked him too. She sees him once every two months and is awesome.

CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

If there's an odor that doesn't go away with washing I think you should look for an infection of some sort. Is he rolling in something dead?

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

A really silly question, but could it be his collar? Last summer I was so sure the smell I was smelling was Caleb's ears. Poor dog, 3 or 4 times I day I was looking in them. I finally tracked it down to his collar. Caleb spends a lot of time either swimming or playing in his plastic pool in the summer, and his collar started to reak. I now put a biothane one on him for the summer.

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

Did the Vet check his anal glands?
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

That frequent washing is not good for a Lab's coat - regardless of how much petting kids are subjecting him to. My 2 Labs (who have hands on them all the time) have not been bathed in 2+ years and smell good - not doggy at all. You may be making some of his problem with the excessive bathing.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

nope not allowed to free roam due to we live near a highway. That is what someone said he smelled like though. lol... I did have the groomer check anal glands and I ditched the collar and got him a new one cuz I thought that was what it was too! lol.... Not bathing him isn't an option ~ when he smells he can't go into the classroom and he has to go in because we do classroom presentations. Thanks guys for all your suggestions... ... I've tried everything. Another groomer suggested to deskunk him although it isn't a skunk smell so I guess I'll give that a try. Thanks again for trying to solve the mystery. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Last edited by 2bcruzn; 09-21-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast