Could Use Some Good Thoughts if You Have a Few Extra
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Could Use Some Good Thoughts if You Have a Few Extra

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

DefaultCould Use Some Good Thoughts if You Have a Few Extra

Cappy has a pretty serious exam coming up Thursday morning. Although he recovered from cancer surgery in February of 2010, he had a tough time of it and had several subsequent treatments because of drainage problems. They weren't pleasant for him. Now the poor old fella shakes like a leaf when I take him into the vet's office whereas in past years he wagged his tail furiously, anxious to see all of his friends there again. I promised him I wouldn't make him endure any more surgeries.

His general health continues to decline. He's on the maximum dose of three 50 MG PROIN tabs daily to control urinary incontinence but he's still leaking. I don't want to put him through surgery.

His breathing difficulty that is due to laryngeal paralysis has gotten worse and I don't want to put him through surgery.

He's 90% deaf and the only way to get his attention in the house is loud hand clapping. A whistle and/or clickers are a poor 2nd. I don't want to put him through surgery.

He's 50% blind in one eye and at least that much in the other. Although it might help his sight, I don't want to put him through surgeries.

Whereas he had only one large Lipoma on his left side near the shoulder, he now has three and they are growing at an alarming rate. Like many Labs his age, he nas numerous other lumps and bumps over his body and we usually just have them aspirated every six months or whenever he's in for another reason. At 12-1/2 I don't want to put him through surgeries.

He looks good in his pictures but he's grown weak and has a hard time accepting the fact that he can't run and retrieve like he used to. Even when I allow him to "jog" on the lawn for a bumper or frisbee, he's so stiff and sore afterward that it just isn't worth it. I don't think he's "suffering" in any way, I wouldn't let that happen. I do know he's lost a good part of his dignity and it breaks my heart to watch it happening.

And then ... sometime in the past few months I've had a couple mild strokes that have affected my speech and some physical movement. The tests that have been run so far don't show any significant brain damage ... but of course one must have some brain for damage to show. I'm on a couple meds but other than that not a lot can be done, I don't want to go through any surgeries either! I keep telling Carol that the doctor prescribed more sex and less stress ... and somehow she doesn't believe me. Guess I'll have to be happy with just the meds.

This getting old really is a bitch, but then, I'm so fortunate to have had the 70 years the good Lord saw fit to give me already ... and the family, friends, dawgs and even some of the net acquaintances I've made over the years.

This was following Cappy's and my last hunt together of the 2009/2010 waterfowl season at the end of January. I was pointing out a flight of geese that were already starting back North in their annual migration cycle. He had his cancer surgery 2 weeks later.

This is the retired Cappy following recovery from cancer surgery and being loved on by his Daddy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

Jim, both you and Cappy are in my prayers. I'm sorry to hear about it all. You and Cappy (along with the rest of the family) are the ones whose stories and pictures I look forward the most. So here's to more of them... for years to come.
    xoxoxo

ScorpianAbarth is offline Senior Member

That was heartbreaking to read - sending good thoughts to both of you! Those pictures are lovely, I especially like the two of you in your matching outfits doing what you guys love!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Jim, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. You have been indeed blessed with wonderful dawgs, a terrific wife, cute little MIL and a very handsome grandson.
    You are one of the special ones on here, and I have always looked forward to your posts. We haven't always agreed, but I have always respected you.
    God Bless.

Sedona is offline Senior Member

I am so very sorry to hear about Cappy's decline. I know how heartbreaking that is for you. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. You take care of yourself. Smooch to Cappy.

Isn't it great to have a sister

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I could feel the love pouring out of that post. Best wishes to both of you.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry to hear about Cappy's decline. I love that picture of you & him on that last hunt. He is a proud fellow. Both of you will be in my prayers.

bigbrownsmom is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts for Cappy and you are on the way.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Great pic, and good thoughts for Cappy.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

labby is offline Senior Member

good thoughts and prayers for both of you

Laura

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast