What's your definition of a puppy mill?

Thread: What's your definition of a puppy mill?

QuestionWhat's your definition of a puppy mill?

This is a question I wanted to ask the breeders and other readers of this board when I first heard of Missouri's anti-puppy mill legislation that the voters passed last fall. The bill was supposed to limit the number of dogs a breeder could have to a maximum of 50 (that still seems awfully high to me). Now it looks like the legislation is going to be repealed. See link below if you want to read more about the legislation.

Voters' puppy mill law closer to repeal

So my questions are:
    How many dogs do the breeders that frequent this board typically have at one time?
    What would you consider a puppy mill? Is it based purely on the number of dogs or the conditions they live in? or a combination of conditions and number of dogs?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I am not sure how it works in the USA, but here puppy mills breed lots of dogs for money. Usually sold to pet shops or anyone they can rip off. Luckily we only have a few and if people didn't buy from pet shops it wouldn't be as profitable for them.

When I was in the States I heard a pet shop owner say the couple could pay $11.00 a week and pay the dog off, when they said they couldn't afford the dog.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Unfortunately, Missouri is THE puppy mill capital of the USA. Saddens me deeply. I think that the real reason the state legislators are trying to repeal the proposition the voters passed last fall, is because it would put many supposed 'breeders' out of business. But the state still wants the revenue is generated by these legal puppy mills. It's disappointing that what the voters wanted apparently no longer matters.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

To me - the max number of dogs a breeder could possibly be working in some venue (show, field, hunt, obedience) would be maybe 15-20. So - if we're only talking about numbers I would say over 20 would be a big red flag. But that's not all. The conditions the dogs are kept in, their individual physical condition, the amount of socialization they get, their full health and temperament clearance and orthopedic clearances and titles are all pre-requisites before any responsible breeding is considered. None of those things are provided for in puppy mills.

Puppy mills treat dogs like most factory farms treat livestock and their offspring is just a product to be brought to market as cheaply as possible.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

deidra is offline Senior Member

I agree with big brown dog. On the news a while ago a "breeder" had all her dogs taken away. There were all kinds of small lap dogs. they looked so sad and they were matted and some had feces all over there fur. They did an update on the story adn they showed one dog and he was so cute but fat. there were some still for adoption I told my mom we should go adopt one. She laughted and said talk your dad into getting an "ankle" biter.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Pennsylvania has it's share of puppy mills too. To me, a puppy mill is a kennel where the dogs are kept in unsanitary conditions, get little or no human interaction, no clearances, the females are bred every heat cycle & nothing is done with the dogs, such as agility, show, hunt tests etc. A puppy mill is all about the money with little regard for the dogs.