Feet: Again. Need help. :(
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Feet: Again. Need help. :(

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultFeet: Again. Need help. :(

Well well well. Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

I think we are about to go for round two on the foot problems. Angus' never really healed to 100%, but we had them back to about 90-95%. In the last few days they've seemed to get more little inflamed areas on them. I went back to doing the apple cider vinegar every night. Then last night I looked down, and lo and behold, Simon has started a place on one of his front feet. There's no hair in a small strip.

If it follows the same path as earlier this summer, all four feet will be hairless in about four days.

I did ACV on both of them this morning, and I'll do it tonight too. I am just at my wit's end...WHAT is causing this??? Is it allergies? But doesn't it seem odd that they would both develop allergies to the same thing within days of each other? TWICE?

I was so depressed last night about this. I can't believe we're going through it again. I spent a lot of time (and $$) trying to figure this out this past summer, and I don't feel like I ever really got anywhere with it. I was hoping it was just an isolated thing, and once we got it cleared up it wouldn't happen again. Looks like I was wrong.

It doesn't really seem to bother them much, and they don't lick that much that I see (who knows what they do all day when I'm not there, but I don't see it at night).

My vet's last idea was a punch biopsy for Angus, which I declined. I wasn't sure it would really tell us anything that would help us, and it was pretty expensive. And about that same time it started to get a little better, so I thought I'd wait and see if it would go away on its own.

I'm not sure what to do next. Go for the punch biopsy? Ask for a referral to a dermatologist? Tough it out until it freezes (hopefully soon), hoping that if it's allergies it will go away on its own? Then I could have the winter to figure out the allergy plan for next spring.

I'm open for suggestions. Would love to hear what you guys think.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Poor pup. I don't know what I would do ... probably seek out a dermatologist if I could. I hope you're able to figure it out soon.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

You live in Tennessee, right?

I haven't understood why you've not yet gone to UT's College of VetMed. Surely they have more advanced diagnostic tests and skills there. And surely, your vet would refer you? (And if not, get a different vet.)

http://www.vet.utk.edu/clinical/referrals.php

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Sorry Connie - I was hoping the issue resolved itself. Good luck

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

What is different at your house/yard? Plants,mulch,flowers, carpet cleaner....I am just grasping.

How long have you lived there before this started?

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Sending lots of healing thoughts for Angus. Poor baby .
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Bob, my vet was consulting with UT, and I spoke to them on the phone as well. I'm not sure if they have any more advanced tests than what my vet already did and sent to them for analysis (following their recommendations). Also, they are 3.5 hours away, so it's not like I can just pop over there either - it's not that easy for me to get them there, what with work and all.

We have one board-certified dermatologist in town. I am considering that as a next option, before I tote everyone to Knoxville.

I am really frustrated because I am afraid that this is going to be one of those things that nobody is going to be able to tell me what it is. I'm thinking they are stepping in something that's bothering their feet and making them lick...but what?? Good grief, that could only be ninety-bajillion things! Short of putting them in plastic bubbles, not sure what I can do about this.

MWGirl, all good questions. We've lived in our house for two years. No problems the first summer. ?? I don't allow anything in the backyard in the way of chemicals (front either, really, except for a little Roundup now and then). I was suspicious of the mulch we used earlier this year, but we removed it right away and all traces are long gone now.

We clean our floors with vinegar and water. Especially now, since this happened, I won't use anything on the floors that could be the slightest bit harmful.

It's just got to be that they're picking up something on walks. I cannot for the life of me think of anything that could be bothering them from our yard or house. Everything is just the same as it has always been, I think.

I even considered that perhaps the problem was that I had refrained from using flea meds on them this year and used Neem instead...but about a couple of weeks ago I caved and used Frontline. So it's not that either.

I guess I could always buy boots for them. When this first started happening I thought boots sounded like a huge PITA. But it is a PITA to clean their feet with vinegar or wash them every time they go out, so what's the difference I guess.

The one and only thing that was different with them this year, that I can think of, is that always before we've gone to the lake several times (which is like a bath, of sorts). This year we didn't go at all...we just didn't the first of spring, then their feet flared up and I didn't want them in lake water with their feet all raw. I wonder if it's like allergies of some sort, and the lake has kept the pollen rinsed off enough that they haven't had problems...until this year. ?

That's all I can think of...

Sidenote: I thought this article was pretty good. All about allergies:

http://www.lbah.com/allergy.htm

bearsdad is offline Senior Member

Connie .. I'd be going to a vet derm if I was you. I had to finally do it with Deacon and his staph problems and I was glad I did

justine is offline Senior Member

I agree - I would probably look for a vet dermatologist.. all they do is skin issues (more or less, anyways), so I think they would probably be the best bet.

I was going to suggest boots, too.. it might just be easier.. Also, you might be able to use those to isolate where the problem is.. ie they were boots only outside of the house, only outside of your yard, etc. ??

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast