stray lab

Thread: stray lab

pj76 is offline Junior Member

Questionstray lab

An old, heavyset but very dirty yellow lab just walked into my house while I was out watering the garden. (Teaches me for leaving the door open!) There are a few dogs that do wander around here freely from time to time but I have never seen him before. I fed and watered him. Even though he is heavy he seemed very hungry. He is very, very dirty. He has a collar but no tags. He has a small growth under one front leg. He is also breathing very heavy. I live in Florida so it is hot here but I was wondering if it is normal for yellow labs to breathe that heavy or might there be something wrong with him. I turned the air conditioning on and that seemed to slow his breathing down a little and now he's sleeping on the kitchen floor. What should I do? I was thinking when he wakes up maybe I should take him for a walk around the neighborhood and see if anyone recognizes him or see if I can follow him to his home.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the feeding and watering. Older dogs tend to pant although he could possibly have some pain somewhere.

Is there no dog warden or rescue near you. If he's dirty it may just be because he has been running wild and his owners may well be looking for him.

There are people on here from Florida. Maybe they will have the necessary connections.

pj76 is offline Junior Member

thank you for responding, ya, I imagine someone owns him but they really should have some sort of tag on his collar and you think they would have had something done about that growth. He (I guess its a he, I haven't thought to check yet) woke up a few minutes ago and walked to the door so I opened it and he wouldn't go out so I walked outside and called him and he still wouldn't come out. I guess he's decided he'll leave when he's good and ready and no sooner. He's sleeping again now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

You can check with a local vet and/or shelter to see if anyone reported him missing. Also ask them to check if he has a microchip.
    Thanks for helping him out!

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Cool air conditioning, water, food, a nice place to nap... I can understand him wanting to hang out in your house
    Thanks for taking care of him. I agree that you should take him for a walk around the neighborhood - see if he heads home and you can obviously ask people if they know him.

Bella

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

I agree about a trip to a vet to see if he's chipped.
    thanks for taking care of him.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Tanya is offline Senior Member

definately contact vets and have him checked for a microchipped. there may be a family looking for him. Contact the local pounds and shelters and maybe put out an add about a found dog.

if you do not plan to keep him (not sure from your post) contact some labrador rescues (there are some in Floriday).

If you do plan to keep him (or are considering it) I would have him at the vet's ASAP.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

TBGSAM is offline Senior Member

If it is warm there I wouldn't walk him too far for too long since he is older and carrying extra weight. I agree with checking with local vets and shelters maybe drive around the neighborhood and see if there are any posters about missing dogs or make up a couple so when you take him to the vet for a microchip scan see if they will let you hang one there. I hope you find his owners if not I hope he finds a wonderful forever home either with you or another family.

Thank you for taking him in not many people would do that. When Buster an older stray husky mix was having a seizure on my front lawn I had a guy drive by yelling just leave him. Thankfully my neighbor came over when he seen me putting blankets in the back of my car to take him to the vet and put Buster in the back of the car for me.
    Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05, Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Call the local pound and shelters to describe him and leave his description and your number. Someone may have called or will call to ask about him. If it's cooler in the morning, walk him around the neighborhood. I have done this with strays, and they often recognise their own house.
    God bless you for caring for him.