Fire Ants and Dawgs (very long)

Thread: Fire Ants and Dawgs (very long)

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

DefaultFire Ants and Dawgs (very long)

Did I ever mention here just how much I HATE fire ants? They are the devils spawn. Tending to 120 acres of pastures, training ponds, fences and 7-1/2 acres of lawn, I end up bitten frequently. The first year here was absolute Hell until I somewhat learned what to look for and how to avoid them. And as much as I do HATE them, they concern me far more for the dawgs sake since they cover far more land than I do and pay no attention whatsover to where they are stepping. As far as I know, Cappy and Remi have only been bitten a couple times in the past seven years and each time, when I saw how they were "acting" by immediately stopping and furiously biting a paw or leg, I was able to brush the ants off or kill them while wearing gloves, of course.

That now brings me to snakes. I actually HATE them MORE than fire ants because several species here where we are are venomous and could be deadly to a dawg, Carol or me or a grandchild. At the risk of asking for criticism and scorn from JL members (it's happened to me here before) I kill every freaking snake I encounter on our property, venomous or not. Non-venomous ones like the diamond back water snake will happily bite a dawg and create a nasty, jagged, infected bite while doing so.

And finally ... I have developed a sudden appreciation for fire ants after seeing this. Friday morning I killed a 4 foot + water moccasin at our wetlands property. It was laying half in and half out of the water on the shore. It was decapitated with a single 20 gauge shotgun blast to the head. I drug the dead corpse well up onto shore to be able to show Carol the following day. Would you believe that in less than 24 hours an apparent gazillion fire ants reduced this freshly killed moccasin to a bare skeleton!

In retrospect, I'm only sorry that on Friday I didn't bring that dead cotton mouth back home with me and use it, with the e-collar on one dawg at a time, for a quasi "snake-proofing" session here with a scent I don't think they are necessarily familiar with.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Yikes!! I hate them both.

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Cappy_TX View Post
    At the risk of asking for criticism and scorn from JL members (it's happened to me here before) I kill every freaking snake I encounter on our property, venomous or not. Non-venomous ones like the diamond back water snake will happily bite a dawg and create a nasty, jagged, infected bite while doing so.
    No scorn from me. I have a simple policy. If I have a choice of killing a snake or letting that snake kill a dog, the snake will lose every time. I've only seen 1 live one on my property. That was a harmless tree snake but I still wasn't going to risk my dogs with it. In this country, snakes are a protected species & you face huge fines for killing them if the law finds out. Guess what? I don't care! Sorry but my dogs are more important & I'll gladly tell that to a judge.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mark_J is offline Senior Member

People kill far more dogs each year than snakes, wonder what we should do about that?

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

I am with you on this Jim, no naysaying from me.

You did / do what you need to for the dawgs and the peeps

(but holy cow the ants did that so quickly ?)

*shivers *

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Got my vote too Jim! And that might just have been a very informative training session - next time!

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

I'm sure you were referring to me, so just let me put my 2 cents in. I believe in live and let live, but not at the expense of my life, or those that I love's lives. You dispatched the snake to keep the dogs safe, you and Carol safe.
    I would have probably relocated it if it were me. Yes I have handled many poisonous snakes and know proper procedure in handling them. That said, you did the right thing. I wouldn't ever take chances with those I love.

Mark_J is offline Senior Member

There's about 8000 snake bites reported every year in the US (some reports suggest as many as 45,000), of those 25% don't even seek any treatment at all (I've been bitten before and not needed to go to the Hospital) . Out of all those bites the fatality rate in North America has not been over 12 deaths in the last 40 years and is usually around 7 deaths annually. Deaths to dogs aren't much more significant. The worst snake to get bitten by is a Rattler, Cottonmouths/Water Moccasins posses a much milder venom and are very rarely fatal to humans or dogs.

This fear people have toward snakes is equivalent to what has occurred with Sharks. Needless, widespread killing of the animals in massive numbers.

Snakes aren't the problem....

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I'm with you, Jim - hate those #[email protected]% fire ants and moccasins! I was blown away by the ants eating the snake so fast, though. I had no idea they could do that! Gives me the creeps.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

tismom is offline Senior Member

I'm in with the hates-fire-ants-and-snakes crowd!

Titan--Chocolate 4/15/01
    Moses--Yellow 10/12/09