The Last Search
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Last Search

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

DefaultThe Last Search

I searched for them so long ago it was an impossible task. The smoke the smells the franticness of the people there all remembered. Noise, dust and confussuion everywhere. Chirping why all the chirping Slowly over days the chirping stopped. The dust never seemed to stop. My friend my Handler was upset, very upset. I comforted her often she needed it. Always so solid in my life now seeming so fragile, so weak. I know my job and search. I searched and all there was was death in the air. I knew dead bodies but there didn't even seem to be bodies, just death in the air, in the rubble. I searched for many days back then it seemed like a different world. There were many of us working back then nearly 100. Some of them I had worked with before. Some were not handling it well and could not handle all the death and all the emotions. I kept working though There must be someone to find. Those days of training the joy of finding the hidden person, The joy of my handler and the gratitude of all the frantic people on those other searches before and since for finding the people just wasn't there at the big search. I searched long hours, had cuts on pads but nothing serious, nothing that could keep me from finding people. After many days of searching my Handler my friend finally called me off, I knew it was the end of the search I knew I had done my job ...but still I had somehow let her down I had not been able to find anyone. She gave me hugs and told me I was a great dog, but still I knew she was very sad with the outcome. i had the found the people. Things were different when we got home and there were people wanting to come and see me and take pictures and they called me a hero and praised me, but I had not found the people.
    Over the years I did many more searches and found people again It was a good life and we always did our job I searched and trained, but always there was the big search that lingered in my mind.
    many years later I was no longer that spry dog of yesterday. I was retired from searching but still went and did training though it made me a bit sore as the days and years passed by. My handler had a new younger dog that would do the searching now. He is so full of optomism and joy he has never seen the big search he doesn't know the horror of it all the frustration of not finding them at the big sorrow.
    My final days drew to a close my handler was nearby all the time and for the first time I can remember she turned down a search.. She wanted to stay home with me and hold me and stroke my head. It was my last memry of being alive her holding me... No more searches no more Handler no more friend except in my heart.
    I found them I found them all! all those years ago I looked and now I have finally found them. They told me I did not fail that just couldn't get to where they were. They told me that I was the best dog ever that I had not given up and that I was a hero. They told me that they would keep me company now till my handler showed up. When my handler gets here she is going to be so proud of me for finding them, for finding all of them. My job is done, and we will play soon.

Kelly Greenwood
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

That is really beautiful and touching Kelly. Thank you.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

I wrote it after I looked at the pictures of the 12 survivng dogs from the search at the twin towers. In all the pictures the dogs look almost sorrowful almost like they had failed at some great task...
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

This put tears in my eyes. Thank you.

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

Last edited by SharonaZamboni; 09-11-2011 at 07:26 PM.

tismom is offline Senior Member

Thank you. That is a wonderful tribute to those courageous dogs.

Titan--Chocolate 4/15/01
    Moses--Yellow 10/12/09

georgie is offline Senior Member

That is so beautiful and touching. Thanks for sharing it with us, even though it did make me cry.

jc001 is offline Junior Member

Very touching. Such a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it.

NM Lab Lover is offline Senior Member

Kelly, thank you for a beautiful tribute story. Search and rescue dogs are amazing. Now I have those darn leaky eyes again.
    Love JL. Justlabradors.com!!!

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Standing quite a bit taller in my home tonight, for your words.
    Standing quite a bit taller to aspire to your level of commitment, love and devotion.

Thank you. Just... thank you.

Seamus and Flynn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast