Interesting trends in rescue requests

Thread: Interesting trends in rescue requests

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

DefaultInteresting trends in rescue requests

Lately I've noticed more and more requests thru rescue for a specific color puppy ("white", chocolate, red, you name it).
    The other eye opener is people looking for trained/started dogs thru rescue. I won't even go into the lame reason of why some are wanting to give their dogs up. It's rather disturbing to me.

I personally have a "started" dog that I'm placing for the owner who is having marital issues, and it amazes me that despite this dog having a known breeder, pedigree (5+ gen of titled, health cleared dogs-- and I own the mom and a sister!), trained thru JH, etc, that people think you should place it for basically a rescue fee. What's up w/ that?

This is really just a vent... but if there is confusion on this board as to what is a rescue and what's not (and when it is and isn't appropriate to trade your dog in for a new model), I'm open to answering those q's. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

How frustrating. If they can't afford a fee then how do you know they can afford vet costs?

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

For some reason, I firmly believe that people MUST pay something for their dogs. Whenever they get them for "free" seems like there doesn´t seem to be a hard long term compromise. If they are willing to pay a fair amount for the dog they probably will take better care of them. And... if you don´t have money to pay for the dog, then to me that means you don´t have money to pay for food, vet bills, toys, etc. So you are better off not having a dog at all.

I´ve had this discussion a lot with people that say puppies should be given out for free... NO WAY... its not a money issue, its a responsability issue

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Tell them to look into the horse industry, price a 3 yr old unbroke horse against a 3 yr old broke and started in a discipline and then see what they say. :P
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Mark_J is offline Senior Member

The preference of color and such I can understand, after all they are planning to give a rescued animal a home for the rest of their days so I could live with them having preferences. As for the 'fees' while I'm sure every case is different there are a lot of people that can afford to take great care of a dog but not if that dog comes with a big price tag.

It does raise the question though, are folks selling dogs at a discount or are they placing dogs that are running out of options into a good home? I would think that if the dog is truly running out of options than the money shouldn't matter, just get the animal into a good home. If the dog does have options than should it really be 'placed as a rescue' when it's just being discounted? I don't sell dogs and I don't breed them, the rescues we're involved with are people in times of disaster so I'm really just asking what the difference here is.

One other thing I don't believe I''ll ever understand , when is it EVER acceptable to 'trade your dog in for a new model'?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_J View Post
    The preference of color and such I can understand, after all they are planning to give a rescued animal a home for the rest of their days so I could live with them having preferences. As for the 'fees' while I'm sure every case is different there are a lot of people that can afford to take great care of a dog but not if that dog comes with a big price tag.

It does raise the question though, are folks selling dogs at a discount or are they placing dogs that are running out of options into a good home? I would think that if the dog is truly running out of options than the money shouldn't matter, just get the animal into a good home. If the dog does have options than should it really be 'placed as a rescue' when it's just being discounted? I don't sell dogs and I don't breed them, the rescues we're involved with are people in times of disaster so I'm really just asking what the difference here is.
    I don't think you understand. If a prospective owner feels SO strongly about getting a PUPPY of a specific designer color (and sometimes they even want hunting ability or such), they should go to a BREEDER, not rescue!!!! Thing is, they are often too "cheap" so are obviously out there bargain hunting on MY dime (remember, I'm a rescue volunteer... helping dogs/puppies produced by irresponsible people who don't spend SQUAT to plan breedings).

As for breeders selling their dogs at "discount price", anyone who has bred for any length of time, and for the right reason, knows that lowering your price doesn't produce the best homes. If I can't sell my puppies at their true value, they will stay here until I find someone serious enough. Otherwise, imo, you are right up there w/ the puppy mills.

Mark_J is offline Senior Member

You're right, I didn't quite get the point which is why I was asking what the difference is. Thanks for letting me see this from your perspective, I can certainly see why a growing trend like that could easily become a hindrance to Rescue efforts...

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

"trading your dog in for a new model issue"
    That's my biggest problem with even "great" breeders. I'm competitive enough to understand the quest to produce the perfect dog. And I understand that eventually a dog doesn't fit your breeding program. And I understand that financially there is a limit to how many dogs you can keep. But what I can't understand is rehoming a dog that has given you years of loyalty, affection, puppies etc. It just seems to me that its going against what just so wonderful about dogs in the first place!
    Getting involved in show dogs and be able to see just how gorgeous some of these dogs are has been wonderful for us. People have been encouraging us to get a female but we won't for that very reason. Having males involved with breeding is just a little side thing. They are, and always will be, just plain house pets, buddies and we'll never run into the "they don't fit the breeding program" thing. I guess there is no perfect system.

Quote Originally Posted by rayluckgoo View Post
    "trading your dog in for a new model issue"
    That's my biggest problem with even "great" breeders. I'm competitive enough to understand the quest to produce the perfect dog. And I understand that eventually a dog doesn't fit your breeding program. And I understand that financially there is a limit to how many dogs you can keep. But what I can't understand is rehoming a dog that has given you years of loyalty, affection, puppies etc. It just seems to me that its going against what just so wonderful about dogs in the first place!
    Getting involved in show dogs and be able to see just how gorgeous some of these dogs are has been wonderful for us. People have been encouraging us to get a female but we won't for that very reason. Having males involved with breeding is just a little side thing. They are, and always will be, just plain house pets, buddies and we'll never run into the "they don't fit the breeding program" thing. I guess there is no perfect system.
    Or look at this way... when breeders get up there in numbers, if their dogs aren't getting the kind of attention they DESERVE, isn't it kinder to the dog to rehome him/her where they do get that attention?

Fortunately, rescue doesn't get involved there, so I keep my nose out of that. What agitates me is the mail order mentality of the world w/ regard to rescue.... and yes, I'm about to ask for "retirement" from my 10 day a month volunteer position because it's just too frustrating at times. I work too, right now 7 days a week, for the next 3 mos, so time is pretty precious. And I have 7 dogs to train and love here too.
    Last edited by windycanyon; 09-10-2011 at 03:17 PM.