Oiy, not sure what to do (got long)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oiy, not sure what to do (got long)

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultOiy, not sure what to do (got long)

I have posted about Concho before.....the silver lab that I board and train on a regular basis. I am convinced that there is pit bull in hos heritage.

Not wanting to get into a debate on genetics, Concho is a VERY talented retriever, although there are issues with being hard mouthed. Concho was taken from his littermates 5 weeks of age. He has ALWAYS had mouthy issues. He WILL bite with the intent to hurt if I ask him to do something he does not want to do. Up until now, he has always backed down once he realizes he has "gone too far".

This time of boarding, I have seen a difference. When Concho does something in err (Kodi is in heat, Hoss is horny..etc, so there are hormonal issues in the house... Concho is neutered), he will not back down to me. He will stop his growling, but still stare at me stiff legged. I do make him submit at that point, but I have to press the issue rather than Concho immediately recognizing that his has done wrong).

I am beginning to believe that Concho is a time bomb waiting to go off. I have told the owners what he is capable of (drawing blood when 'told' to do something he does not want to do). Conch lives with 3 young children, but apparently there are no issues. They believe he is a good dog, and yes, if not provoked, he IS an adorable dog.

GHAAAA.... Concho goes home in 12 hours......To the owners he is a good dog, and if not pressed he is....but, if TOLD what to do, he CAN hurt you. They do not see that.

How would you want to hear that your dog is a time bomb????

How would you like to hear that kind of info?

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Someone who knows more will give you advice.
    I just wanted to say this sounds like Gems. I don't think Gems should be left with children. I saw her snap at a child at their house and they said the child must have done something. I love Gems, but think she is a time bomb as well. I think part of her problem is lack of training. Could this be the same with Concho.?

I spend ages trying to think of a way to tell Laura and eventually said Gems got a bit grumpy today with other dogs and children. Laura said..Oh she doesn't do that with me....as I thought she might, which left me the opening to say...Maybe just a bad day today..Laura did say she didn't have control over Gems and has seen her snap at another dog, but made excuses for it.

I always tell people who mind my dogs, if they misbehave please tell me. I like to know honestly the way you have told it here.

eta. spelling
    Last edited by kassabella; 09-08-2011 at 05:20 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Thanks Chris! This sounds similar. Concho IS a good dog, but if pressed, can turn very mean. I worry about the kids, or their friends. If asked by a police officer if I knew he could hurt a child? yes, I know it is possible....at this point, it takes a certain combination of circumstances....the owners do not see that. I do really adore Concho...I just see things going bad. If he were mine, no problem, it would be managed.

I think the "he is grouchy" approach may be the way to go?

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

This sounds so much like Gems.

I never left Gems alone with children. Once a child did provoke her, but still unacceptable. I loved Gems, but could see as you do with Concho. Combinations of circumstances and there could be trouble.
    Frighenting really,but what can you do. At least with you having him you can be more forwarned or changes.

Some owners or parents are in denial which make it very difficult.

ETA. A thought. Do they mention Concho misbehaves, or they don't haev time to train him or anything along that line. This could be a chance to say if they don't get control of the dog it could bite.
    I found with Gems she was worse when she first arrived. She would run in and bite Erns and give me the "make my day lady" definant look". Once I settled her and she knew I wasn't putting up with her attitude she settled.
    Last edited by kassabella; 09-08-2011 at 06:09 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

patm is offline Senior Member

It sounds like you could tell them anyway in the world and they aren't going to believe you. You could try finding a story about a "good dog" who bit a child (with graphic pictures - pictures have to very graphic, dog has to look very "nice") Good luck with this. Do tell them somehow, because even if they don't listen to you, at least you have told them. I would also refuse to keep the dog anymore - maybe that will impress them.

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

I would simply tell them that Concho seems to be having some issues with his training and that he becomes aggressive when given commands and that this seems to be worsening with time. You can tell them you know that they say he is good at home, but that you just want to make sure they're being extra careful with kids around.
    If you have any further recommendations for what they could do (i.e. see a behaviorist), let them know that.
    They may not listen, but you'll feel better if you've at least said something.

labby is offline Senior Member

I personally wouldn't press it. They aren't going to believe you. I would gloss over it "Concho can be dominant, (give slight description). Just watch him with kids. You don't want your ass sued if he should bite someone." They'll act shocked and deny they've seen anything and go about their merry way. It won't stop the inevitable from happening, but your conscious will be clear.

Laura

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I'd do like Laura. Make sure they're well aware...then never invite him back into my home.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I agree with Laura and Melissa. I also think some dogs just are not willing to take discipline from others, esp. bully breeds. Monster has never ever challenged Rudy or I, but he will not back down from a stranger, or even a family friend. He lunged and snapped at my dad once when he was visiting (long story but bottom line, I'm not concerned, as messed up as that might sound, lol).

I'm well aware of this aspect of his "bite threshold" and manage it well. For instance, I would never send him to a board and train facility, knowing this about him, and will only ever board him with friends that are dog savvy enough, know him well enough and that I trust enough. :P So I think it is right to tell them in order to remove yourself from liability, hopefully they can recieve the message one day before things hit the fan.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

kaytris is offline Senior Member

They hired you for your professional experience - so i would be polite but frank and honest about what you have seen, (specifically) what happened and what you feel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast