The boys just had a fight

Thread: The boys just had a fight

deidra is offline Senior Member

DefaultThe boys just had a fight

I was in the yard playing fetch with them and they both grabbed the toy and were playing tug o war. All of a sudden Bentley attacks Tank and Tank attacked back. Thankfully I was able to get tank to back off but Bentley still had attitude. My uncle grabbed Bentley and put him in the house in his crate. I checked Tank and he is fine but i am scared he may have hurt his hip i am not for sure. Bentley has a small scratch but other then that is fine. I don't think i will play fetch with them both at the same time anymore. yes,this si teh first time it has happened. it may be from the extra energy. It was 101 degrees at the begginign of the week and is now in the low 60's all day. It is supposed to stay like this all week!!
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I hope this doesn't mean trouble between them in the future. Don't coddle either one after a fight. Discipline both equally. For all you know it may have been Tank who started it with a challenging look that only dogs read.

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

Games do create excitement - I watch their attitude when I use the chuck-it with Corby and Maggie, because they're both very competitive on getting the ball, and if they're over-excited, they'll over-react (not fighting, but they get "ruffled"). Tug-of-war doesn't have that affect, but if it does with your dogs, I'd avoid that game.

Agree about not coddling them after. I put my dogs in a down/stay to settle them, can you do that with yours? Even just doing it periodically during play to maintain control. And do you have a chuck-it? That is good exercise for the dog(s).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

I can get Tank in a down and stay if he gets wild most of the time. Bnetley has come a long way but there are soem things that I am afraid to even handle him. He has two personalitiys. Sweet or aggressive and we are working on a lot of the things. I want to get a behaviorist to come in but my mom only sees teh sweet side of Bentley so she doesn't understand.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.