New puppy this fall...question about car travel

Thread: New puppy this fall...question about car travel

superwy is offline Member

DefaultNew puppy this fall...question about car travel

We are adding a second puppy to the family this fall. We travel every weekend in the winter from Massachusetts to NH to ski. It is a three hour ride. I am trying to figure out some logistics in preparation for our new addition. Wyatt is usually in the far back of our SUV or sitting between the kids (if we have a lot of stuff!!). Here are the options I can think of:

1. Buy a smaller crate for travel and have the two dogs in the back.

2. Put the seats down on one side of the car and have one of the kids sit in the 2nd and third row with a dog beside (or on top, as it usually works out.

I am thinking a small pup would be better and safer in the crate, but don't know how that will work out with Wyatt free. I am also wondering what to do about the crate in the house. Wyatt doesn't use it often, but will sometimes. Do I buy a second larger crate for the new addition, or use Wyatt's at home. I don't want Wyatt to feel like he is giving up his "stuff" for the new baby.

I'd appreciate any thoughts. We are just waiting for the new pups to be born. We are using Wyatt's breeder again and they are due around September 5th. Wyatt had his 3rd birthday on Tuesday. Lots of doggie excitement around here. (Now we just need power in the rest of the town so school can start next week. We are already two snow days in the hole!)
    Kim

Wyatt & Echo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

get puppy his/her own crate - much better for long car rides and better for Wyatt to have his own sanctuary if he ever uses it still

there is no issue with Wyatt travelling as he usually does and puppy being crated - that will just be the way it is ... we do that often here with no issue at all

BTW personally Ihave found the 3 year gap just PERFECT timing too ... well except now we live with an 11, 8, 5 and 2 year old and really don't want another one next spring but also don't want to need another
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Mark_J is offline Senior Member

We never crate our boys in a car (or anywhere else for that matter). We teach them what they can and can't do in the car, they love catching the wind coming through the window and they do like to see both sides of the road. Having SUVs does make this a bit easier to accommodate, we just drop the back seat (or half of it) and they can make use of the rest of the space available to them. We have taken Moxie on drives of over 1200 miles this way and I doubt we could travel any other way. With both dogs having equal freedom you can avoid any potential 'that was mine' conflicts...

This might not be the best approach if your dogs are crated often but it does work well for us...
    Last edited by Mark_J; 09-01-2011 at 10:32 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

I'm thinking that Wyatt can travel as usual but the pup would do better crated. For security and in case of car sickness, accidents etc. Once the pup gets older, you can judge how best to travel but to begin with, I vote for a crate.

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Lexi travels with me & she is loose in the backseat of my SUV.

As for the puppy, I think small crate is probably the best route at least until he/she is older & you are confident there won't be issues.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

If Wyatt doesn´t use his crate anymore he won´t care about a pup using it, actually even if you buy two they would probably end up sleeping together in one unless you separate them and close the crate.

In the beggining I would use your crate for the pup (just because some dogs get car sick and you don´t want a mess), when he gets older he can travel like Wyatt.

Now an unrelated question: I am planning a vacation to New England at the end of this month, planning a car ride all the way from Greenwich CT and covering parts of RI, MS, ME, NH and VT. Could you recommend me the best places to visit? As far as large cities I only care for Boston, the rest of the trip I prefer to cover suburban towns.

I know Irene hit VT pretty hard, but I really want to go. Do you know if it THAT bad to definitely skip it?

superwy is offline Member

Thanks for all of the advice. I appreciate it.

Blackandyellow...I am happy to offer my advise. We live outside of Boston, grew up in Vermont and have a place in New Hampshire, so I am pretty well versed. A lot will depend on what you want to see. In Boston, I highly recommend the Duck Boat ride. Lots of fun and really gives you a nice tour of the City.

If you want to see Rhode Island, there are some beautiful beaches all the way from Watch Hill to Naragansett. In Providence, they have an event called "Water Fire" which is truly specatular. The run through October, so you may want to see if the schedule fits. 2011 WaterFire Schedule | WaterFire

Cape Cod is pretty, and people love Martha's Vineyard. I must admit, we are more mountain people than beach people, so we might not travel that way. If you go, you'll need some time, but you may get the same feel in Rhode Island.

I love the coast of Maine and would highly recommend Kennebunkport, Camden and, if you can stand to drive that far, Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. In New Hampshire, Bretton Woods/Mount Washington is a must see. (I know, personal bias.) As far as Vermont goes, it is really Southern Vermont that was hit hardest. Central Vermont, where my family is, was left mostly unharmed. Burlington, which is north, is fine, but probably not what you are looking for.

Here is what I would do, depending on the time you have and the roads.

Drive from Greenwich up the coast of Maine, stopping at Point Judith or Naragansett. Continue on to Providence (if timing is right for Water Fire) or continue on 95 north up to Boston. From Boston, continue up to the Coast of Maine, taking Route 1 for the scenic route as far as you want to go. If you want to make the trip all the way to Acadia, give yourself some time. It is stunning and you want to enjoy the endless views. If not, head towards New Hampshire from your stopping point, finding Route 302. This will take you over to North Conway (lovely town) and over towards Mount Washington. You can drive up Mount Washington from this area. Visit Jackson for a great little covered bridge. Depending on the conditions of the road, you can either continue on Route 302 to Bretton Woods through Crawford Notch, or you will need to go around through Gorham and over to Jefferson. Make sure to visit the Mount Washington Hotel (whether you stay there or not). Sit on the back porch and enjoy a drink while you look out at Mt. Washington. (I also highly recommend the spa.) Continue on 302 into Vermont. You'll get to Interstate 91. Here is where the roads will matter. I am guessing you are interested in Southern Vermont (Queechee area??). This area was hit badly and many roads are closed. You can use the website Vermont AOT Travel Information to update you on road conditions. This will help you plan a bit. If the roads are too much of a mess and you decide to avoid the area, you may want to explore some of the Northeast Kingdom, which has some lovely areas, or centeral Vermont (Waterbury -- home Ben & Jerry's and Stowe) which were are in much better shape.

I hope this helps. Feel free to email me if you have more specific questions. You are coming at a lovely time. We are planning our first canopy tour at Bretton Woods at the beginning of October. If you like adventure, you might check it out.

Have a wonderful trip.
    Kim

Wyatt & Echo

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

We fold one of the middle seats down. My oldest son often brings his boxer when we go on trips. Our Sophie and the boxer do fine in the space where the one seat is down. Someone rides in the back bench seat and someone in the other middle seat. We started taking Sophie this way when she was about 3 months. She is 4 1/2 months now and a seasoned car rider! We never crated her, and before she was big enough to ride in the floor, someone held her and would let her down from time to time.

hunterchrome is offline Senior Member

I seatbelt my two labs in the car when we travel. In my SUV I used a car harness for each and tied them to the floor to keep secure. They still had long enough seatbelts to move around, reposition. We don't have kids but when we traveled with 4 of us, the dogs sat in the very back. When we brought our second dog into the home, our first pup was using his crate. We bought a second crate and placed it right beside our first crate. They sleep in our room presently and it works great with them each in their own crate. When we travel we soft sided crates that fold down that are lighter weight and more compact.
    Hunter & Chrome

Cheley is offline Senior Member

My older 2 have never been crated in the car, but have also never travelled long distances.... 30 miles max. Kendall has always gotten very car sick, and it's just not a good thing to have her in the car for very long. Her car rides now are usually limited to the vet and to my parents or in-laws. When we go on vacation, Kendall and Sophie stay together at the kennel.

Willow is almost 1 1/2 and has been from central PA to Maine with us twice. My family rents a cabin in Maine every summer and last year she was only 4 months old and I felt too little to leave at the kennel, so she went along. She did so well and loved it so much that she went along with us again this year. I wish I could take the older dogs too! For short trips (to the vet, in-laws, etc) I do not crate her, but for the 13 hour drives to Maine she was crated and did just fine. I bought her new toys for the long trip and we stopped every few hours for pee breaks (for her and me!).

Good luck with your new puppy! Wyatt is gorgeous. Can't wait to see pics of the new addition.

~Cheley, Kendall, Sophie, and Willow