Puppy Biting

Thread: Puppy Biting

Ann P is offline Junior Member

QuestionPuppy Biting

I have one 8 weeks black lab. He is very playful and energetic. The problem is he is biting a lot. I gave him chew toys but he gets bore and comes to bite me. When he bites me I can see that he is waging his tail so he is playing. But his biting is pretty painful. I try to play with him but somehow his interest in always towards my feet and hand. I try to yelp or make load sound but does not effect at all. for some second he is distracted and comes back with full of energy. today when he was biting i put him in the leash and gave him a time out. But when i released him he was more aggressive and more bity. I know this is a game for him and he is not attacking me but i really do not understand how to make him not to bite me. I take him out in the night in our apartment parking area so there will be less cars and crowds. Do I need to take him out more? He is only 8 weeks old and still due to complete his full vaccination. Please help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dixie'sMom is offline Junior Member

We just had this problem two weeks ago with our new puppy. When we were having playtime her biting was really bad, to the point that I almost
    couldn't play with her because my hands hurt so bad from all the bites. I was at the end of my rope. What we started doing was when she would bite, we would just loudly and sternly say no biting while putting our hands behind our backs so she couldn't get to them. We would just keep repeating this step, and after five times of telling her no biting we would get up and walk away for a few minutes. Then we would go back and play again. After three days her biting had completely stopped, and I was afraid she would never stop biting because it was really bad. I don't know your daytime situation, but our Lily has someone home with her all the time, and we go outside for potty time every two hours, and we take two walks a day that includes leash training. I know they are not trying to hurt us, that they use their mouths to play, but those baby teeth hurt! I am sure others will chime in with their suggestions, and hopefully you will have many different ideas to try. As long as you are consistent with your methods he should pick up on it pretty quickly. Good luck!

Dixie 3/19/2001-6/30/2011
    Macy 1/2002
    Lily 6/14/2011

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Boy those little teeth are needle sharp aren't they!!?? Our Sophie is finally totally broken from it. My arms used to be all scratched and beat up! What we did was say in a loud stern voice "DON'T BITE!" AND we put our hand around her muzzle. She finally stopped by the time she was 3 months. Now at 4 1/2 months she is a love-bug with loads of kisses for us! We still rough house with her, but we don't get bit anymore. Just stick with the command. Use the same command every time. Don't let her slide now and then, or it sends mixed messages.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I know that this sounds way too easy but, when Bruno was a puppy and started the biting, I picked him up and said "NO BITE!...kiss kiss" and he changed from biting to lots of puppy kisses. The puppy has to first figure out what" kiss kiss" means, then see you are over delighted with kisses and displeased with bite.

bett is offline Senior Member

anohter vote for NO BITE and another distraction, like kiss kiss or give him a toy.
    and be careful where you take an 8 week old -not enough shots to protect him. (unless you know no other dog or animal has been there, which is probably impossible but try your best)

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Labs are very mouthy when young. It takes absolute consistency to not allow them to do it and tons of patience because it gets worse as they grow until they shed all their puppy theeth. But the good news is that they do grow out of it eventually.

I have tolerated it on my pups when they were young but always within limits. I´d play bitey with them but if at any time they hurt me I sure made them know that was too harsh (just like other dogs do).

I still play bitey from time to time with Homer yet (he´s 3 y/o), but he´s very gentle now.