Jack went AWOL... then came back.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jack went AWOL... then came back.

honeybadger is offline Senior Member

DefaultJack went AWOL... then came back.

I got home yesterday evening, and Jack was on the back porch as usual.
    But then I checked my home phone and there were two messages on it from the neighbour.

Message one:
    "Hello? Yes, we have your dog... is he there, Jeff?"
    *static*

Message two:
    (Clearly they have called my number then got distracted and put the phone down, so all I can hear is people talking in the background.)
    *static*
    "Mum?"
    "What?"
    "Did you tie the dog to something?"
    "No?"
    "Oh."
    "Where did he go?"
    "Dunno."

I then went outside and realized the back gate (we have two, this one opens out onto our large backyard which is not securely fenced enough to have Jack on without supervision) had been left open.

Turns out the family friend who mows our lawns didn't shut the back gate correctly when he left, and Jack got out and went on a little adventure on the property behind ours. Thankfully he came back and nothing bad came of it. Scary but good to know he'd come back home.

Ever had your dog go AWOL?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

No - I don't leave my dogs outside when I am not home. Never had one elope.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Shall I just delete this now?
    (Can I even do that?)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by honeybadger View Post
    ...Ever had your dog go AWOL?
    Not recently, but yes. Every once in awhile, the GSD/Husky we had 20+ years ago would take himself for a walk through the camp we lived at. At most, he'd have a 5 minute head start on me, and would bolt for home as soon as he saw me coming after him.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Nope, never here but then I don't believe in leaving dogs outside if I'm not here nor do I suggest it's okay w/ my pup owners either. All it takes is a kid, the lawn boy, meter reader, ups delivery etc to leave a gate open.... Lesson learned???

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

georgie is offline Senior Member

Oh yes. years ago, before we fenced our property in, we had a GSD. She wandered off & after almost an hour of calling & looking for her. I noticed a neighbor's gate open. Not sure what made me go inside, but there was Ginger, swimming in their pool. She walked in the open gate & into the inground pool. We live in the country, and everyone has at least an acre of property, how she managed to get there is beyond me.

We fenced our property now, but I still don't let Kate & Abby out alone. I know Kate can jump the fence if a deer or rabbit or some creature is on the other side. And the meter readers have a tendency to leave the gates open.

Glad Jack came back.
    Last edited by georgie; 08-29-2011 at 09:08 PM.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Hey, folks, let's keep in mind that in some countries it's normal for dogs to be kept outside during the day, even in some areas of this country. Heck, afore mentioned GSD/Husky was outside 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    Nope, never here but then I don't believe in leaving dogs outside if I'm not here nor do I suggest it's okay w/ my pup owners either. All it takes is a kid, the lawn boy, meter reader, ups delivery etc to leave a gate open.... Lesson learned???
    This is going to sound defensive. Which it is.

His fenced area is the back yard only so no, randoms don't barge through my yard 24/7, as I mentioned this was a family friend not a "lawn boy", he's a man in his 40s we and Jack know and trust and he thought he'd closed the gate but it's a tricky gate and on that one occasion he didn't realize he'd done it wrong. We built this fenced area specially for Jack so it's very secure for a labrador. He's well taken care of. Better than many, many other dogs here in New Zealand. But if it makes you feel better, my insecurity and anxiety about my ability as a dog owner does make my life miserable so you don't have to.

I don't see a problem with leaving my dog outside in my particular situation and backyard so I'd appreciate it if you didn't blindly apply your "I don't believe in leaving dogs outside" rule on every situation you hear about. Things are different in some places and a blanket rule doesn't work great in reality.

No, he's not tied to a tree in the middle of Texas. No, I don't think he'd be better off inside when I'm out. Yes, I think he is a very happy dog with a nice life.

Another thing. You only needed one question mark on the end of that question. Three makes it obnoxious and condescending.

And yes, I did learn my lesson. I worry about him all day every day.

Edit: This isn't why I don't have Jack inside, but our very close friends lost their spaniel Barley when their house burned to the ground a few years ago. No situation is the perfect situation.
    Last edited by honeybadger; 08-29-2011 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
    Not recently, but yes. Every once in awhile, the GSD/Husky we had 20+ years ago would take himself for a walk through the camp we lived at. At most, he'd have a 5 minute head start on me, and would bolt for home as soon as he saw me coming after him.
    I knew someone who lived out in the middle of nowhere, and their lab used to take himself for walks down to a nearby pond and come back all smelly. He always pretended he'd been home all along, but the green sludge on his feet gave it away...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast