HELP! Ham bone!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Ham bone!

c17wife is offline Senior Member

QuestionHELP! Ham bone!

I know I haven't been around much since I started working again, but I have a major emergency here. Lucy (she'll be 6 in January) got this ham bone from the ham we had last night for dinner. All I found was pieces of bone on the carpet. It wasn't whole any more. What should I do? Is it bad for her? My husband was supposed to take the trash out this morning. I had bagged the bone and set it far enough back on the counter (at least so I thought) that she couldn't get to it. This usually doesnt happen but 2 of my 3 kids are sick and I didnt even go downstairs this morning until now since they didnt go to school. Should I be worried? This is the first time in 5 years that this has happend.

Vicki
    Last edited by c17wife; 11-09-2009 at 11:28 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

Cooked bones can be a problem. I would observe her very carefully for the next few days. I believe some recommend feeding bread to help the fragments pass.
    If she shows any distress or refuses to eat take her to your Vet immediately as there could be an obstruction.

Duke and Freckles at their country home

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Lucy (she'll be 6 in January) got this ham bone from the ham we had last night for dinner. All I found was pieces of bone on the carpet. It wasn't whole any more. What should I do? Is it bad for her? My husband was supposed to take the trash out this morning. I had bagged the bone and set it far enough back on the counter (at least so I thought) that she couldn't get to it.
    We live and learn. For a Lab, there's absolutely no such thing as being set back far enough on the counter.

I think the best thing to do is observe her behavior, her eating and poops closely.

The thing I'd fear most is either an intestinal obstruction or a splintered fragment of bone piercing her digestive tract.

If she's lucky (and you as well), she'll have ground the bone into small enough pieces that her stools will come out like lighter colored, hard, "limestone" rocks for a day or 2.

If you do notice any blood in her stools, or constipation, or anything else unusual, then see a vet ASAP.

Good luck.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvRgirl is offline Senior Member

I am a newbie, but I read about dogs eating cooked bones. And Dukesdad is right, they said give them bread, and watch for pain and straining more then usual when passing stool. Also if they can't pass stool it is a sign there is an obstruction.
    Sweet Bella Mia at Zion National Park.

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

In addition to bread, you can give her a few cotton balls soaked in milk. The cotton will wrap around sharp objects and help them to pass without damage.

If she's refusing to eat or drink, acting like she's in pain, or not pooping, get her to a vet right away. If she's still acting pretty normal, watch her carefully and if anything changes, take her in.

The just love giving us heartburn, don't they?

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

If you give cotton balls, be sure to use REAL 100% cotton, not synthetic. There is also a high fiber canned food you can get from vets to feed them to bulk around the object and help it pass.

Seamus Lab is offline Senior Member

I'm probably a bit of an alarmist but I would call the vet anyway just to see what they say.

Just a related question -- why are cooked bones more dangerous than raw bones?

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Good luck to all involved. Watch closely whatever you decide to do, and off to the vet if it doesn't seem right.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Lab View Post
    I'm probably a bit of an alarmist but I would call the vet anyway just to see what they say.

I would too. Sometimes the rich ham can upset their gut as well.

No matter how careful you are at some point these Labs mouths get them into trouble.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast