Can you ever love another Lab as much after you have lost a very special one????
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you ever love another Lab as much after you have lost a very special one????

Olivia's Mama is offline Junior Member

DefaultCan you ever love another Lab as much after you have lost a very special one????

This is a question for those who have been there. After having a Lab that is so ideal and perfect in every way for you and then to have her die from cancer (we have so much sorrow and sadness at her loss), can you ever be so lucky again to have another Lab and to share that connection with you again like that???? Is there only one perfect dog in a lifetime???

Thanks. Obviously, we lost our beloved Labbie and are planning to get another one but I have been thinking about this question...

Lynne

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

superwy is offline Member

Lynne, We lost our perfect lab, Jake, at the young age of 9 to cancer. It was devastating. He was our first baby, was there for the birth of our two children, and was truly the perfect boy. After he died, I could not stand the silence at home. We had two young children (5 and 2 1/2), but it was a different kind of quiet. About three months after Jake died, I was ready to start looking. I spent lots of time looking at labs online and crying. I spoke to my vet, who referred me to a breeder and soon Wyatt came into our lives. I knew I could not get a yellow lab like Jake, so we went with a black lab. Wyatt is sweet, loving, goofy and a beautiful addition to our family. He is unlike Jake in so many ways and could never replace him, but I like to think that they would have been great pals. Wyatt turns 3 on Tuesday and we have actually decided to get another lab to join our family. This time we will choose yellow, to honor the memory of our perfect boy who was lost so young.

I am so sorry for your loss. I can only tell you that if you open your home and your heart, when the time is right, I think you will find a new connection that is as meaningful and wonderful as the first. I wish you the best.

Kim

Wyatt / Jake (with the family) the year before he died

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

First of all I am very sorry for your great loss.
    As far as your question goes......yes, you can love another lab as much....differently but as much.....They are ALL so very special and unique. Go ahead, get another one and find out

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

Love is not a finite thing with shape and mass. It is infinite and like a snow flake, never the same twice. There are many facets of love. Grief takes a few. Grief is sharp, piercing, and at times crushing. Other times it stings, and dulls the senses. Grieving is not a linear process but meanders around a bit. Eventually grief fades into the background, replaced with more and more fond memories and less unpleasant feelings. Red was my first lab, an older dog who was with us for three very short years and died unexpectedly. It was over two years before just talking about him did not bring tears to my eyes and a tightening in my throat. We adopted Jack two weeks after Red died. The first thing Jack did was to shred all the plush toys Red carefully and gently carried about. I hated Jack's behavior for that, but Jack was a much younger dog. Jack is still with us and I love him for what he is and does.

A part of you died which cannot be replaced. You will form strong bonds with your next dog that are not the same as those before. It is a different snowflake.

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

I knew I'd need another dog when Cam died. She was almost 15, and the most awesome dog, as well as being the last of a long line in our human family.
    Bean was a crazy puppy, but after five months with him, I am starting to see the great dog he will be. Even though there's still crying about Cammie. There will never be a replacement, but you will find your next friend.

Cam, 1996

Cam, 2011
    Last edited by SharonaZamboni; 08-27-2011 at 11:49 PM.

deidra is offline Senior Member

I am sorry for your loss. When I lost Abby(she was hit by a semi atthe young age of 4) I thought the world was going to end. Then about a year(maybe less) later I got Tank. I had a very strong bond with Abbey but with Tank it is different. He was scared,skinny and just confused when my mom brought him home. I instantly had a connection with him. He is my heart dog. Abby is my other heart dog but me and Tank just have a connection. He went missing for 3 days and I cried so much. I always have a bond with all my dogs(in my 14 years of life I have had over 30 dogs) but Tank is special.I say Tank saved me and I saved him. Then September 23rd,2010 I got Bentley from the pound. He was scheduled to be euthiniized the next day and at 8 A.M. in the morning I had my dad go and pick him up. I have a connection with him but a different kind I have with Tank. So I think you CAN have a connection with another dog but a different kind of conection who had with the dog before.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I totally relate to what you are saying about your fear of being able to love another dog as much as your perfect dog you lost. We lost our sweet Maggiemay on May 17, 2011. She was 12. She died suddenly from an abdominal aneurysm. Maggie was the most special dog and almost human! She was our joy. After we lost her I just prayed for the pain to stop. I began to think we needed to find a puppy to fit in our family. I worried that no dog could ever be the dog Maggiemay was. I feared I could never love one as much. I began looking for breeders, and after a couple weeks found a wonderful caring breeder a couple hundred miles away. We actually chose Sophie by photos and from descriptions by our breeder. We got her about 10 days after finding her. She was 8 weeks old. Maggie was fox red and Sophie is chocolate. Sophie is now 4 1/2 months and is a joy in our lives! I still cry over Maggie, but we all love Sophie. She is so special. She is loving and we laugh at how like Maggie she is. My Husband says she's reincarnated! Anyway, my advise is to find that special puppy. It will help your grief. And...you will love it as much as your other dog, just differently. Take care, and keep the faith, Pam

Olivia's Mama is offline Junior Member

Thank you for these beautiful and heartfelt replies... You give me faith that we will come out of this and we can love again...

Lynne
    Mama to Olivia, always in my heart...

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I'm very sorry for your loss. I agree with all of the replies above. When you lose the perfect dog, in your heart you expect to find her again in the new puppy, but soon see the new one has a personality of her own that you will love.

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I have had two heartdogs in nearly forty years of owning labs. Tanka was my first and I was positive I could never love another anything as much as I loved him. He was my soulmate. Our adoration was mutual and the two of us went through a lot just to stay together. Years later, a few wonderful and well-loved labs, Newfie, Chessie later, came Caleb. He was the 'person' I wanted to be and although they were heartdogs in different ways, I miss both of them everyday. Tank was my soul, Caleb my heart. I'm hoping for a brain dog next because I think I could use help in that department. LOL
    I am so sorry for your loss but you will love your next dog and maybe you'll get lucky like me and have two or even three in your lifetime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast